9

"There you are!!" Meghan exclaimed as I sat next to her on the bench. "I was afraid that you got lost in the city and I'd never see you again."

"Well, you see me now, Don't you?"

"Yeah I do." She laughed, exposing that bright smile of hers once again. "We can take a bus to where my car is parked, from there we can meet my friend at the pizza place. Does that sound good to you?"

"Yeah I guess. I'm going to want to find the apartment my employer has lined up for me before sundown, though." I replied.

"Oh, I can help you with that, no problem." Meg took her phone out of her purse and unlocked it. "What's the name of the building?" She asked.

"I don't know exactly... the one on Commonwealth Avenue." I answered to the best of my ability.

"You're kidding me!" She put her phone away after hearing my reply "That's my friend Ari's apartment building. I know exactly where that is! Everything is going to be so great for you out here, I just know it."

At least one of us was confident about that. I used to think that this was going to be great, but now I'm less sure.

A bus came and brought us to the parking unit just a mile or so away. I probably should have gotten a rental vehicle of some sort, but instead, I threw my luggage in the back seat of Meghan's Nissan and joined her up front.

"Trust me, I'm a very careful driver and I'm not a serial killer." She said while starting the car.

"Very reassuring." I replied sarcastically.

"I promise," She laughed "you're cool, I wouldn't want to kill you anyway."

"You're not doing a very good job convincing me that you're not a killer." I joked.

"Hahaha, I promise I'm not."

"Okaay."

"So, Shawn Hunter," she giggled "I like your name." She paused for a few seconds before speaking again "So, Shawn, you should tell me a little bit about yourself so we can be friends."

"Hmm, okay, first of all," I started, "I don't make friends. I don't get close to people. I will not make friends. So give that one up, Meg." I told her, firmly.

It's not that I don't want to be Meghan's friend. She's very sweet, and not to mention, gorgeous. But it hurt so much to leave my friends back home, and I won't allow that to happen again, no way, I have to protect myself from that kind of pain.

She was quiet for a little while, the only sound was of the traffic around us.

I stared out the window and watched the city fly by. How could a place that seemed so exciting yesterday be so terrifying today?

It wasn't long before we pulled into the parking lot of a pizza place.

"Here we are." Meg said, sounding a lot less cheery than she did earlier. She led me up to the door and her eyes lit up once more as soon as we stepped inside.

"MEG!" Called a blonde girl from across the restaurant. She sprung to her feet and ran over to greet her friend with a hug. "I missed you! How was your trip?" She asked.

"It was a lot of fun!" Meghan answered her. Then the blonde girl pulled her aside. After a few moments of waiting by the door while they giggled and whispered, the two girls approached me.

"Shawn, this is my friend, Ari. Ari, Shawn." Meg introduced us.

The blonde girl giggled as she talked to me "Hi. I'm Ari. I guess you know that already." She then busted out in laughter.