21. laying low

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters. I do not own Derek Hale. However I do own Skylar McCall and some of the things that come along with her plot (Like Harv & Kelly's, etc.).

☽❁☾

It's been two days since Derek's been back, and I haven't seen him since we kissed. I understand he needs to lay low, but my mind has been going crazy, keeping me up every night. Tonight, I'd only just drifted off when I heard the boys talking in the hallway outside my room.

"I think we should wake her up," Stiles remarks, a little loudly as if he had meant for it to wake me up. If he did, it worked.

"No, Derek specifically said to leave her—"

At the mention of his name, I swing my legs over the side of my bed and jog to the door, ignoring the lightheaded feeling I get as I do so. "Derek said what?"

Scott gives our friend a dirty look, filling me in. Apparently, I had just missed our favorite blue-eyed wolf, who came by and dropped off his car with two specific instructions: Drive fast, and leave Skylar at home. I don't know what to think. Is he trying to keep me safe? Or is he avoiding me because of what happened the other night?

Either way, I don't respect his wishes. I pull on his jacket and follow the boys downstairs, still in my sweats and fuzzy socks. The three of us slip on our shoes and head outside, the Camaro looking gorgeous in the light of the waning moon. I snatch the keys from Scott's back pocket, rushing to the driver's seat. Derek would really trust either of them to drive this thing? The boys protest but don't waste time arguing, Scott taking the passenger seat and Stiles filling the back. We screech out of the driveway and into town, driving aimlessly for awhile.

After about ten minutes of driving, a dark car pulls out of an alley behind us. Whoever is driving must have their pedal to the floor, because they're on our bumper in seconds. The faster I go, the faster they go, matching every turn and swerve with ease. Stiles turns around and squints in the beam of the headlights, announcing the identity of the driver to us: Kate. I can't wait for this Argent to skip town.

"Faster?" I ask, putting my hand on the gear shifter in Derek's Camaro. Scott nods in the passenger seat, looking at the hunter in the car behind us, hot on our trail.

"Much faster," he agrees. I gulp, shifting the gear and pushing on the gas. So this is why Derek wanted them to drive around—to distract the hunters. Stiles listens in on the police radio he stole from his dad, which tells us Derek's being chased down right now—the real Derek, not us. But Kate doesn't know that.

"Hey, Skylar," Stiles says from the back, constantly looking behind us. I can't help but do the same, her headlights in the rearview mirror menacing. "I don't think you're grasping the concept of a car chase here."

"If I go any faster, I'll kill us," I snap, my grip on the steering wheel tightening. The boys can talk all they want, but neither of them would be able to go as fast as they're expecting of me while keeping control of the vehicle.