Ni

An hour later, Akashi was out of his bedroom and he was on his way towards the library where he mostly spends his time at. He sat on his usual chair that was a few feet away from the fireplace and grabbed the unfinished book that he was reading last night.

While reading the first few sentences, his eyes caught a certain object that was leaning against the wall, near the hearth.

It was the violin that his mother gave him for his birthday.

-

Red innocent eyes sparkled at the sight of the astonishing instrument on his mother's neck. Her fingers gracefully sliding across the fret board as the other held the bow; beautifully gliding itself against the strings, causing the melodic notes to fill the young Akashi's ears.

Small, chubby hands reached out from the crib, the toddler babbling and calling for his mother. Chuckling at how adorable her son was, she placed the instrument down and lifted the red eyed toddler up to her arms, emitting a giggle from him as she tickled the boy.

"Little Seijuro likes the violin doesn't he?" she cooed, playfully tapping the young Akashi's nose. Seijuro grinned, showing his cute toothless gums.

"He sure does. Grow up fast and I promise I'll teach you how to play it. You'll play the violin for me, don't you?" the older Akashi asked, her fingers once again tickling the toddler.

-

"Seijuro? Can you come with me for a little bit?" Akashi Shiori asked as she peeked inside her son's room only to see him with books and papers surrounding his desk.

"Sorry Mother. I can't play shogi yet, Father told me to study all of my subjects today." the five years old boy replied. Shiori sighed quietly and stepped inside the room, gently closing the door behind her.

"Seijuro?" his mother called out.

"Yes Mother?" Seijuro replied, still reading his textbooks.

Shiori smiled sympathetically and placed her hand on her son's shoulderSeijuro jumped at the sudden contact and faced his mother in confusion.

"I have something for you, don't you want to see it?" she asked, her loving eyes meeting her son's fragile ones.

"But... I still have to read six books." Seijuro muttered, averting his gaze away from his mother.

Shiori patted the five year old's head and smiled cheekily at him.

"Father is at work right now, I won't tell him. It will be our little secret, okay?" she winked and Seijuro almost immediately agreed, setting aside his study and taking his mother's hand instead.

As they walk down the hallway of their enormous mansion, Shiori couldn't help but notice Seijuro's actions. He looked around the place with a newfound expression on his face; relief. It dawned to her that her son barely spent his time outside his room. He never really had the time to explore their own house as he was always studying whether it was after school or in his free time.

That's why she decided to give Seijuro a little present for his hard work.

"Where are we going Mother?" the little Akashi asked as he tugged on his mother's hand.

"You'll see, Seijuro."

They walked hand in hand along the hallway, a smile made its way to Shiori's face when he heard the redhead humming a happy tune.

"And here we are!" she announced, causing Seijuro to look curiously at the large mahogany doors.

"This place seems awfully familiar Mother, have I ever been inside this room?" he quietly asked, brows furrowed in curiosity.

"Indeed." Shiori nodded and smiled at her son. "You loved being in this room when you were little."

"What is this room for?"

Shiori laughed softly and  pushed the door open.

"See for yourself."

"Wow." Seijuro gasped once he saw what was inside. His mother chuckled at his reaction and coaxed him to go further inside the room.

"Well? Go on, you still have your present waiting for you."

Upon hearing his mother's words, the young boy hurriedly made his way towards the piano where a wrapped present was sitting on its stool.

"Just open it sweetie, don't worry about the mess."

Seijuro gently grabbed the present and sat on the floor, carefully unwrapping the gift as his mother stood and watched him fondly.

"Do you like it?" Shiori asked once he unwrapped it.

"I love it! Thank you Mother!"

-

Smiling fondly at the memory, he closed the book and placed it back to the table where it was before. He stood up and gently lifted the instrument up to his neck and prepared for the piece he was about to play. Akashi closed his eyes and started to play a slow, mellow song.

It happened six years ago, when ten years old Akashi discovered his love for basketball. His father never favored him doing such a thing but his mother encouraged him into loving this sport. Akashi's mother was the only one who understands him, knowing that his father is strict, and would not talk to him unless he achieved something.

But his mother was always there for him, showering him with all the love and affection, making up for all that his father lacked. Doing all of the things that his father would never do to him. He loved her with all of his heart that he even found a hope despite his life under a strict household. But that hope vanished when he was ten. His ray of sunshine suddenly passed away with a blink of an eye. He couldn't breathe, he felt like his soul and entire body was trapped, crushed under large rubble. To think that his mother, his only hope, was gone.

What's going to happen to him next?

After the burial of his wife, the older Akashi became more strict. Having fun was strongly prohibited as he only had to focus on winning. He told his son that he could only play basketball if he kept on winning in every match, and thus Akashi never lost in any match, whether its sports or academic.

"In this world, winning is everything; winners are validated and losers are denied."

Akashi muttered out, the words etched on his heart as he remembered when his father made him repeat the same phrase over and over again. He sighed and calmed himself down as he listened to the sweet melody of the violin.

"The Devil's Trill Sonata. You're still playing that piece, Akashi-kun?"

Akashi's eyes flew open and his heterochromatic eyes met a boy with deep ocean blue eyes standing a few feet away him. Akashi let out a quiet chuckle as he pulled the violin off his neck.

"Good evening to you too, Tetsuya."