Head In The Clouds

A few days later

A terror landed outside the arena and scurried in. It went over to Fishlegs. He read the name on the letter.

"This is for you," he said handing the letter to Astrid.

She opened it as the terror flew away.

"Dear Astrid,
                        Ever since my first visit to Berk and after the attack, I can't seem to get you out of my head. So, if you want to go out sometime I will be at the best viewing point in the archipelago to watch the sunset tonight. If you don't come I know your answer.

                                        Dagur"

"I... I have to go," she said in shock.
"Who wrote that?" Ruff asked.
"No one important."

That evening

"Where are you going all fancied up?" Gobbet asked as Astrid came downstairs.
"Out to the best viewing point to watch the sunset."
"Have fun, lassie."
"Bye."

Astrid walked out of the hut to get Stormfly. Snotlout confronted her.

"Where are you going, baby?"
"Ew. Snotlout, I'm not your baby. And I'm going out. Tell Hiccup and the rest of the losers that no one is allowed to follow me or their head is getting chopped off. That goes for you as well."
"Okay, Astrid," Snotlout fearfully said. He ran to tell the others what Astrid had said.

She mounted Stormfly and flew off.

"Remember girl, don't hurt him."

She landed at the point. She saw a man sitting there.

"Hey."
"Hey."
"Is it alright if I brought my dragon? I don't like boats."
"I don't mind if she is good."
"She will be."
"Alright. So how have you been?"
"Other than the riders stalking me, I'm doing fine. And yourself?"
"Other than Stoick slicing my arm, I've been doing fine."

They got to know each other a little more and when the sun had set, Stormfly lit a tiny fire. Astrid started showing Dagur that dragons aren't as bad as they seem.

"Just hold your hand out," she said. "Don't worry she doesn't bite."
"Are you sure about this?"
"Yes. Are you afraid?"
"No. Just cautious."

Dagur held his hand out, waiting for something to happen. Stormfly put her head in his hand.

"She trusts you."
"That's good. Right?"
"Yes. Give her a pet. And don't hit her."
"Like this?"
"Yes. You're getting the hand of it."
"You know when I was younger, I used to have a skirll," Dagur said.
"They are hard to train. What happened to it?"
"Mom said she flew away but I don't believe her."
"Oh. It's getting late."
"And cold. Your dragons little fire won't stay lit forever."
"Do you want Stormfly to leave you and the boat outside your territory?"
"Yes please."

Five minutes later

"I had fun tonight," Astrid said.
"Me too."
"Can we do this again sometime?"
"I'll terror mail you when I'm free," Dagur said.

He kissed her on the cheek and jumped onto the boat to sail the rest of the way home.

"Stormfly, don't tell anyone what happened. I really don't want the riders questioning me about why I like Dagur and not Hiccup." They flew home.

Astrid slowly opened the hut door. Gobber was sound asleep. She creped up to her bedroom. Immediately after she hit the pillow she fell asleep.