The Knight Bus

The squeals and cries of Marge who was floating higher still acted as the background noise as Harry and y/n marched down the street. They really had no idea where they were going, y/n suggested London but they hadn't thought of a way to get there. The road was still wet from the morning rain and their trunks kicked up water as they quickly ran over puddles, spreading muddy water all over their ankles. Nimbus was trotting along, keeping an eye out and Hedwig had been let out to follow them in the air. Night had truly fallen by the time they stopped at a small playground.

"Harry there's no point in walking if you have no idea where you're going," y/n said after him, struggling to keep up with his quick long strides, "what do you plan on doing walking all the way to London?"

Harry stopped. He too realised that we were just wasting energy, "You're right," he chuckled, "you always are."

"Well, I try," y/n replied smiling, "let's just sit for a bit, figure out a plan,"

The two rested their trunks on the footpath and sat on the curb, munching on sweets trying to see the next best move.

"We could catch the train in?" y/n suggested

"I don't have any money," Harry said.

"What happened to all that money your parents left you?"

"That's wizard money though," Harry explained, "I only have a few stray pounds in my pockets at best."

"Yeah I don't have any muggle money either," y/n huffed, resting her head in her hands and chewed her gummy worm in annoyance. She turned her body to face Harry, "Remember what I said about walking to London?" y/n said, reconsidering the pointless idea out of desperation. Just as she finished the street lamp above herself and Harry began to flicker until it went out completely.

Well, that's just great.

The wind picked up too, blowing their hair around and making the leaves on surrounding trees and bushes quiver. They weren't the only ones shaking. The temperature and dropped suddenly and y/n pulled her hoodie around her tightly trying to shield her body from the wind. The play equipment behind them creaked and swayed in the wind, the high pitched squeaking hurt y/n's ears and made her grimace. y/n turned back to Harry, who was looking across the road and into a cluster of brambles.

"Harry, what's wrong?" She asked. y/n followed his cautious eyes into the thicket and was met with a pair of glowing yellow ones. Almost as soon as the large, black dog saw her, it began to growl and bare its fangs threateningly. Nimbus screeched back.

The pair got to their feet and y/n reached for her wand. The dog foresaw her actions and barked loudly, making her jump. She quickly pulled out her wand and pointed it across the road at the dog. But, as soon as she raised her wand, a bright pair of lights came flying down the road, the gush of air it caused was enough to knock the two over onto the path. A horn echoed around them and the light blinded them.

A peculiar looking purple bus had driven up right in front of where y/n and Harry had fallen. y/n didn't know what to stare at when the hulking vehicle came to a stop. The violent purple colour, the three levels of the bus, or the very calm looking conductor waiting at the entrance to welcome them.

"Welcome the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand, come on board, and we'll take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike and I will be your conductor for this evening," he recited in a monotone voice from a card her held carelessly between two fingers.

y/n saw that Stan was still fairly young, only about eighteen or nineteen. He wore a purple uniform to match the buses exterior and had an elaborate ticket machine hanging around his neck. His face was covered in pimples and he had large ears akin to a monkey. It took him a moment to see Harry and y/n still lying on the floor.