The Professor's Premonition

The walk back to the castle was quiet and calm yet, y/n felt the tensest she had all night. She had felt completely at peace when the unicorns greeted her so warmly, and when the flying seahorses pranced in the air around her head. But the image of the dog hunting her through the trees lingered in her mind making her constantly on edge.

The only way she could think to combat this was to continue to practice her non-verbal spells. Her wand would flicker on and off as she willed it to light up. Snape was beginning to get irritated by her failed attempts to cast a decent charm but allowed her to practice. She wasn't going to get any better if he stopped her from trying.

Soon, they reached the edge of the trees and emerged out into the snow-covered grounds of Hogwarts. The air was clearer and the moonlight shone freely, now not trying to battle its way through the thick canopy.

But now, without the foliage and trees to shield her from the cold, y/n began to feel the chill of the windbreak through her clothes and freeze her bones. She began to shiver, her fingers turning a tinted blue and the tip of her nose began to flush and go rosy. "Let's get out of this cold," she said, "The sooner we're inside the better."

y/n marched ahead, not bothering to wait for Professor Snape to catch up to her. She quickly tried to trudge up the snow, the ice crunching under her feet as she nearly stumbled and fell. Once she had defeated the small summit, y/n was drawn to the glow of the castle like a moth to a light. The promise of warmth and a chance to defrost was the only thing on her mind.

They entered the castle and despite it looking very well lit from the outside, most of the halls were pitch black, only home to sleeping portraits snoring away. Snape had illuminated his wand and the light was sufficient enough to guide them both through the dormant corridors.

As they proceeded, Snape seemed to become more wary of the surroundings. It was when he stopped and peered ahead of them that y/n began to get nervous. He looked down at her and put a finger to his lips, telling her to stay quiet. y/n nodded and took out her wand. Snape illuminated his own and cautiously walked forward. They came around a bend and Snape rushed forwards, y/n following close behind. They illuminated their wands non-verbally to reveal Harry, standing in the middle of the corridor in his pyjamas.

"Potter," Snape started holding his wand high up near Harry's face, "What are you doing roaming the corridors at night?"

Harry looked from Snape to y/n in confusion, "I was sleepwalking." He explained flatly.

Snape's eyes narrowed, "Extraordinarily like your father you are Potter. He too was exceedingly arrogant, strutting around the castle."

"My dad didn't strut," Harry said firmly, "And nor do I. Now if you don't mind I would appreciate if you would lower your wand." Harry was being bold with Snape, but the professor nonetheless complied.

"Turn out your pockets," Snape said but Harry did nothing. It only made him more suspicious though, "Turn out your pockets," Snape order once more.

Harry apprehensively reached into the pockets of his hoodie and pulled out a very old looking piece of parchment.

"What's this?" said Snape.

"Spae bit of parchment," said Harry.

"Oh really? Open it," Snape ordered. Harry did so and unfolded the parchment. Snape pointed his wand at it and said, "Reveal your secrets." Ink began to appear on the page and Harry lifted it up to inspect it. "Read it."

Harry read it out loud, "Messers Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs, offer their compliments to Professor Snape and-" he faltered, but 'Messers Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs' sounded so familiar to y/n. Who were these people? Had she met them before?