The Resigned Professor

It wasn't until noon the next day that y/n, Harry, Ron and Hermione left the hospital wing to find that the castle was almost completely empty. With the conclusion of exams and the lovely day outside, students were taking full advantage of their last Hogsmeade trip before the end of the year. The four opted to stay at Hogwarts though, not feeling very adventurous after the events of the previous night. 

y/n leant against a tree near the banks of the Black Lake, gazing across the shimmering water. The giant squid would flap its large tentacles out of the surface every now and then, sending ripples and small waves all the way to the shore. She zoned out of the conversation, pondering in her head were Sirius Black and Buckbeak were now. Were they nearby, or had they left the country completely? With the sun beating down on her skin and the events of last night looming over her, she thought that some time alone would be best for her. She sat up and bid her friends farewell before trudging back up the castle. 

The Slytherin common room sounded like the ideal spot for a day like today. The cool stone floors and the sunlight beaming through the lake to illuminate the whole room in a cool and calm green made y/n feel cooler with just the thought. 

She had descended into the dungeons, not meeting anyone on her way, until she rounded a corner and smashed straight into someone. She caught herself before she fell and looked up to see that Draco and only just kept his balance as well.

"Draco?" she said, "I thought you'd be at Hogsmeade." she looked at him, sceptically. Last time she saw him was before Buckbeak was to be executed.

"I was going to but the heat is unbearable today," he said.

Silence fell over them as they stood in the empty hallway.

"How are your legs?" y/n asked, feeling a twinge of guilt in her stomach.

"They've been better... It was a good jinx though, shouldn't have expected any less from you." Draco chuckled, smiling slightly.

y/n sighed, "Sorry about all of that. I was angry and I just had to let everything out. You just so happened to be the target... and I'm sorry."

"No you shouldn't be the one apologising," Draco huffed, "I've been a joke of a friend to you this year, I kind of deserved it..."

"You can say that again." y/n rolled her eyes.

"Can we, I don't know, wipe the slate clean? I'll try to be a better friend 'cause, being friends with you is pretty cool." Draco said, a hopeful smile growing on his face.

y/n couldn't help but smile back, "Being friends with you is pretty cool too. Friends again?" she said opening her arms for a hug, something she knew Draco did not like. 

He rolled his eyes, "Friends again." and opened his arms too and they shared a warm hug, the events of the year washing off them as they began anew.

They began to walk together through the halls, y/n's plans of the common room long forgotten as she walked and talked with her friend.

"Have you collected your exams yet?" Draco asked

"Not yet, I haven't even thought about it, what with all the drama that's been going on."

"Oh shit, I almost forgot! Are you okay?" Draco exclaimed turning to her.

"I'm fine, nothing serious, just a scratch or two," she said holding up her bandaged arm where she received and nasty swipe from Lupin.

"Hmm, well, at least Lupin is out of our hair. I always had a weird feeling about him," Draco said.

"What do you mean?" y/n asked, worry beginning to fill her up.