The Return of Terror

Night had fallen over the Scottish countryside since the three students and one fugitive Hippogriff had begun their trek through the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest. Harry lead Buckbeak along with the rope tied loosely around his neck as Hermione and y/n lured him along as they ran in front of him dangling dead ferrets just out of his beak's grasp. Moonlight streamed in through the trees ahead of them at the edge of the tree line. 

"Okay, now we save Sirius," Hermione said, removing the ferrets that were hanging around her neck and discarding them on the ground for Buckbeak to enjoy.

"And how do we do that?" Harry asked, letting go of Buckbeak's rope and following Hermione and y/n towards the opening in the trees

"We'll find a way. We always do," said y/n, yet she was still unsure as to how they would pull off the near impossible. 

Well, we have already gone back in time. Anything is possible at this point.

The three reached the edge of the tree line, giving them an unobstructed view of the Whomping Willow which they had fallen down hours earlier. At this point, their past selves were already in the tunnel, chasing after Ron and Sirius' dog form. They heaved long cool breaths of air into their tired lungs as they watched the tree thrash around.

"Look," Hermione said, breaking the silence of the night, "It's Lupin." She pointed out the Professor casually strolling towards the enchanted tree. He picked up a branch that was laying on the ground and poked the knot of the tree that caused it to freeze. He then quickly disappeared down the tunnel.

y/n saw another figure dressed in all black approaching the tree with purpose, "And there's Professor Snape," she said and they watched Snape disappear down the tunnel in hot pursuit of Lupin. 

"And now we wait,"  Harry breathed out.

Hermione sighed, "And now we wait."

y/n took a seat on the forest floor, staring mindlessly at the Whomping Willow still swaying slowly from Lupin's jinx. Only time could tell how the rest of their night would play out. But then again, time was a fickle thing and was not to be relied on. 

They waited in silence and anticipation.

------)OOO(------

The minutes passed cruelly slow. y/n watched as the deep blue sky slowly deepened into an empty black, stars scattered around poking holes in the midnight sky. The moon was yet to rise. If only they had gotten out of the shack sooner.

The three were staring blankly at the base of the Whomping Willow for any sign of movement, their eyes heavy from boredom. The noises of the forest began to grow louder as the creatures of the night awoke for their dusk prowl. y/n was brought back to the night she and Snape ventured into the forest. The thought of Black stalking her from beyond her sight sent shivers down her spine. She didn't care how innocent he was, she knew Black was a dangerous man.

"Hey, guys?" Harry asked, breaking y/n away from her memories. She didn't notice that a scowl had formed on her face. 

"Yes?" Hermione answered.

"Before, down by the lake. When I was with Sirus and you, y/n, I did see someone. Two people actually" he said, "They made the dementors go away..."

"With a Corporeal Patronus," said Hermione, "I heard Snape talking about it with Dumbledore. According to him, only a pair of really  powerful wizards could have conjured them."