Mistress Mary

"What do  you know about your uncle, child?" Mrs. Medlock asked Mary Lennox.

"I know nothing." Mary told her.

They were on the way to Misselthwaite Manor where Mary would spend the rest of her days. They were in a carriage.

"Well. Your uncle lives in a grand place. It's very gloomy, and Mr. Craven is quite proud of it." Mrs. Medlock explained to Mary. "The house is almost six hundred years old. What do you think about it?" she asked.

"I think it seems scary." Mary grumbled. "I want to go home." She said.

This made Mrs. Medlock chuckle.

"You mean to tell me, you don't care about your new home?" she asked.

"It will never matter. Weather i care or not." Mary said sadly.

"Your uncle was married once to a pretty young thing. He would have crossed a thousand seas for her." Mrs. Medlock explained.

"Is she dead?" Mary asked.

"She died quiet some time ago." Mrs. Medlock said. "He has never been the same."

None of the things Mrs. Medlock told Mary made her feel any happier. Her father, and mother had just died. She was in no position to be happy about moving in with her uncle.

"Don't expect to see him much." Mrs. Medlock warned Mary. "And there will not be a lot of people who will be able to talk to you. They are busy. They need to focus on work. You will have to be a good child, and entertain yourself. Do you understand?"

"Yes Mrs. Medlock. I understand." Mary said.

"And whatever you do, no exploring in the house." Mrs. Medlock said. "None." "Child, can you hear me?" She barked.

Mary turned to face the pains of the carriage she was in. It was raining outside. She watched it for so long, that Mary's eyes began to droop, and then... she was asleep.