The Servents

When Mary woke up she found Martha at her fire. She smelled the morning air. It smelled like honey, sweet, crisp, and clean. She stared at Martha who was busy setting up Marys clothes.

"You are an odd servant." Mary said.

"I belong to Mrs. Medlock." She explained. "Mrs.Medlock belongs to Mr.Craven." She explained.

"Who will dress me?" Mary asked.

"Why, you will dress yourself!" Martha said surprised.

"I guess your parents in india never taught you that. I assumed you would be...different anyways. When they said you were from India-"

"You thought i was Indian!" Mary sobbed.

"Stop crying Mary." "Mary! Stop!"

Mary stopped.

"Would you like some porridge?" She asked.

"No." Mary said.

"Suit yourself." Martha said.

"You know. Theres a garden nobody has been in in ten years at least. The maids talk." Martha winked.

"Thank you." Mary said.

She got herself dressed, and marched down the steps of the mansion. She kept thinking about the garden that was hidden.

She found herself in the main garden. A gardner was working on some bushes. He tipped his hat. A blue bird was chirping on a nearby branch in a tree. He turned to her to sing.

"Oh." She whispered.

"He likes thee." The main said.

"Whats your name?" Mary demanded.

"Ben." He said. "Thats my only friend, hes a cute little bird." He winked.

The bird chirped in response. All of a sudden, the bird flew over the wall.

"Wheres he gone?" Mary demanded.

"Over the wall. Into a garden where nobody has found the key." Ben said sadly.

Mary ran in the direction of the bird, she found herself in front of a door. She knocked on it.

"Help me little bird." She begged.

The blue bird fluttered down, and sat on top of the mat in front of the garden door. She looked around the area, and in the grass; she found it. The key.