Deacon comes to visit

"Mary. Mary someones here for you!" Came Marthas voice from the kitchen.

"Coming!" Mary said from the tippity top of the stairs.

Mary skipped down the stairs.

Standing in front of her was a sandy blonde haired boy with rosy cheeks named Deacon.

"Mary?" The boy asked.

"Yes?" She said nervously.

"I'm Deacon." He bowed.

"I am well aware." She smiled.

"You two run along and play now." Martha smiled.

"I brought you some garden things." Deacon said as they walked down the path.

"Thank you." Mary smiled.

"Will you show me the garden?" He asked.

Mary wondered if Deacon could be trusted. She saw a baby goat run over to him from around the corner. Then, she decided he could be.

"Yes." She said happily.

She walked over to the secrete garden, and found the key she hid. She put it in, and opened the door.

"Well, bless my soul." Deacon whistled under his breath as they walked in.

"We have work to do." Mary told him. "Can i trust you not to tell anybody?" she asked.

"You can count on me." Deacon smiled.

"Thank you." Mary smiled back.

They worked in the garden for the entire afternoon. Mary, and Deacon talked about all kinds of things from his family to the hills. At noontime, they decided to go back inside for some lunch.

Mary almost forgot about the crying, she really did. But when nobody was in the kitchen, and she heard it she could not help but follow the sounds of sobs.

"Deacon, come on!" She said.

"Where are you going?" He asked afraid.

"You will see!" She said.

They went up to Mr. Cravens office, and down the hall. Mary heard voices belonging to Mrs. Medlock, and Martha.

"Mary we're not supposed to be-"

"Shh." Mary told him.

"Just trust me, okay?" She asked.

"Okay." He agreed.

They waited outside, afraid. Then, they noticed everyone leave the room at once. It was the maids, followed by a man who appeared to be a doctor.

"He will never get better if he continues on like this." The doctor said sadly.

"What can we do?" Mrs. Medlock asked.

"There is little that can be done im afraid." The doctor said.

"Shame, first his mother, then the boy. Why, our mistress Mary is all Mr. Craven will have left sooner or later." Martha whispered.

"We should pray." Mrs. Medlock remarked.

"Heavenly father. Protect Colin from the illness that lives inside him. In your loving grace, Amen." She said. "Alright, back to work everyone. There is lots to be done." She said.

And with that... the adults were gone.

With the adults gone, Mary decided it was time to meet this Colin character she was hearing about.

"This way." She told Deacon. They walked into the room. On the wall was a huge, covered painting over a golden fireplace. She saw a bed of gold, and red silk covers. It was something the boy princes in India would have.

"Who goes there?" a little man voice boomed.

"Mary, and Deacon." she responded.

"Who are you?" Colin demanded.

"Who are YOU since YOU are living in MY house?" Mary asked.

"YOUR house?" Colin back talked.

"Yes MY house!" she replied.

"Do you really live here....?" Colin asked.

"Why?" Mary asked.

"Well. If you live here. That means your related to my father." He remarked.

"Whos your father?" She asked.

"Mr. Craven." He said.

"That's my uncle!" she said proudly.

"Well then it IS true! It IS quite strange we have never met before! We are COUSINS!" Colin remarked.

"But then, if you're my cousin; whos this?" He asked.

"This? Oh. This is Deacon." She introduced.

Deacon bowed as he usually did when he was introduced to new members of the Craven household.

"Pleasure to meet you sir." He said.

"Pleasure is mine." Colin smiled.

"They think im going to die." Colin smirked.

"I know." Mary said, sadly.

"If i will at least i'll see mother." Colin smiled. Then, Colin began to wail again.

"Colin. Please! Please don't cry! Don't cry!" Begged Mary.

"Colin! Colin! Stop!" she shouted. "Oh you wicked! Wicked little boy!" She complained. "My ears!" she wined.

"Colin. We will show you a fairy garden if you are quiet, and behave like a nice little boy." Deacon explained.

Colin stopped crying.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yes. Really." Deacon reassured.

"Hes going to ruin it." Mary grumbled.

"No he wont." Deacon reassured.

"Fine then. Next week we will take Colin out to the garden." Mary said.

"Yes. Next week, you must. I order you!" Colin ordered.

"You can't order ME!" Mary said.

"Oh but i CAN because when my father dies, this becomes my house!" He said.

"You little wart!" Mary argued. Then, with that she grabbed Deacon, and slammed the door.