Uncle Craven

"Come in." Mr. Cravens voice boomed. Mr. Craven was seated at a mahogany desk in a leather chair. He seemed kind, but ghostly. He was writing. In front of the desk were two chairs. In another corner of the room a seating area.

"Hello." Mary curtsied.

"Hello, child." He continued to write.

"Have a seat." He said.

"Are you adjusting well?" He asked.

"Yes." Mary said.

"Is there anything i could get you?" He asked.

"Well. I noticed a garden spot while i was playing." Mary said.

"And?" Her uncle asked.

"Can i have it?" She asked. He put down his writing things to gaze at her.

"You look just like your mother." He whispered. "Let me tell you a story. A long time ago my wife had a garden. She and i loved it very much. We were swinging one day, and then she fell. She got ill shortly after. After she died we never did find that garden." He said.

"What a sad story." Mary said.

"Yes." Mr. Crane agreed.

"You can have the garden." Mr. Craven said.

Marys eyes lit up.

"Thank you!" She said.

He continued writing.

"Have you made any friends?" He asked.

She shook her head, no.

"Martha mentioned Deacon. He's a nice boy. I will see to it that

"Have you been studying?" He asked.

Mary shook her head.

"No." She admitted.

"Then, we shall get you some books at once!" Her uncle replied. "Anything else?" He asked. She shook her head. "Good day then, run along." He said shooing her out of his office.

As she walked out of his office she heard sobs. Gentle sobs coming from down the hall. She wanted to explore but remembered Mrs. Medlocks warning. She decided to ask Martha what was wrong instead in the morning.