8 - it is a good day because you are alive

it is okay to have bad days

it is okay to have bad days. it is okay to have bad weeks. bad months. bad years.

but please, my dear, never let yourself believe that it is a bad life.

listen to your choir teacher's advice. the one who has almost died and been given a second chance at life. the one who survived a "widow-maker" heart attack. the one who lived in spite of the 2% survival rate. listen to him.

"you know why it's a good day? because you're alive."

you are alive. you are breathing. you are present. it is a good day.

now i know there are bad days. when your eyes feel too heavy and every noise seems way too loud or way too soft. when you brain plays tricks on you or when your nightmare trails into your day and causes you to be more defensive than normal. i know those days still happen. and yes, those are bad days. those are days when you just want to curl under the covers and sleep it off.

but it is still a good day. because you are alive.

there are going to be negatives in every day. always. but we've focused on negatives for too long.

i'm not saying you can't be sad because goodness, please let yourself be sad. we've seen how bad that can get when it spirals out of control after holding it in for too long. for the love of god, let yourself be sad and cry it out. but end it when you finish crying. remind yourself that yes, this hurts, but you will get through this.

and god, if you are alive, then that is enough.

existing is enough. even on days when you know you could've done more than exist. and on days when existing is all you can bring yourself to do.

you are enough, you are growing.

let yourself have bad days. but don't forget about the good ones. and remind yourself of the good ones to come. always.