Chapter 1: No Future

"Yeah, but what she said about you being immortal... She's right. You watch the people you care about age and die."

"Alexander... I may be the High Warlock of Brooklyn, but... Even I can't see the future."

Alec ignored Magnus's fifth phone call. He'd been avoiding him ever since they woke Jocelyn two days ago. There were many reasons. He'd been thinking non-stop about what Camille said earlier. Even if he did start dating Magnus, where would it all end? Sure they could have fun for a while, but that wasn't enough for Alec.

He didn't want to be with Magnus just for fun. And he doubted Magnus wanted that either. That became clear to him by the way Magnus responded to his kiss – with passion and tenderness and very eager for more. The way he showed up at his wedding and saved him from committing the biggest mistake of his life made him realize that he truly cared about Magnus. He didn't want to hurt him. He didn't want him to create expectations just to have them get ripped away later. One way or another Alec was definitely going to die and Magnus would have no choice but to watch it happen.

Alec let out a sigh as he decided that this relationship had no future. He hated the situation, but he really didn't see anything that could give him hope about it. The last two days had been agonizing to Alec since this is all he'd been able to think about – besides Jace being away with Valentine.

I can't do this. It wouldn't be fair to Magnus.

With his decision made, he headed back to his room but stopped when Izzy crossed his path.

"Hey, big brother!" she said with a bright smile on her face. "How was that first date?"

Alec took a deep breath before responding. Ever since that kiss she'd been practically begging him for romance details.

"There wasn't one, Izzy," he said, keeping his voice and face emotionless.

"What? Why not?" Izzy's smile faded a little. "I thought you wanted this."

"Yeah, sure. I do, just not now."

Alec didn't want her to know his true thoughts about this matter. All he wanted was to go to bed and fall into a dreamless sleep. He was so tired of thinking about this. He was tired of the pain it caused him. So without any more words he turned his back to Izzy and stepped on the stairs ready to head to his room. But Izzy wasn't giving up that easily.

"You don't have to stop living just because Jace isn't here, Alec," she said and Alec knew from her voice that she wasn't smiling anymore. He closed his eyes and thought God, she can be so nagging sometimes and sighed before turning back to face her.

"I know. And I'm not, it's just... there's a lot to do now. We have to figure out a way to get Jace back. And stop Valentine. Dates can wait."

These had been a really busy past few days, so she'd have to accept that excuse for now. At least that's what Alec hoped.

Izzy didn't say a word. She just raised her eyebrow and gave him the look that always made Alec feel uncomfortable. Like she knew exactly what was going on in his head.

"Goodnight, Izzy," he said softly and finally got away from her. He really wished she would just forget this Magnus thing ever existed and move on. But knowing Isabelle he had a feeling she wasn't going to let it go just yet.