Chapter 19: The War Is Over

When Alec announced he wasn't going back to the Institute he could feel Izzy's curious look on him, but he didn't care. He walked away before she had a chance to ask anything and headed straight to Magnus' place.

He had decided to visit Magnus when he woke up that morning after some painfully short sleep. He couldn't sleep last night; his couldn't stop thinking about Magnus and how much he'd missed him. It had been two days since their first shaky date and they had only texted each other a few time since then. The non-stop hunt for Valentine had made Alec and all of his friends so busy that they barely had time to sleep. Despite their tiring missions, Alec only became more determined. He knew that the sooner they caught Valentine, the sooner Magnus would be out of danger and Alec would finally have a decent amount of time to spend with him. But that was only one of the reasons behind Alec's determination to find Valentine. Alec's hatred towards Valentine was another. Alec was so angry at him, first for taking Jace and decieving his brother, then for taking and hurting Magnus. Alec's anger fueled his quest to find Valentine not only to get justice for the Shadow World, but also to get his own revenge. He couldn't wait to get his hands on Valentine and teach him a lesson or two about the consequences of hurting the people he loved.

He loved Magnus. Alec didn't know why or how it happened, it just did. And he knew it was crazy, because they've only been out on one date, if one could even call that a date, and they only shared a few kisses. And he had no clue whether Magnus felt the same way or not. But those kisses and just being around Magnus have been the best moments of Alec's life so far. Besides all that, Magnus wasn't the only thing that's been growing on him; Alec was starting to like himself more too. Ever since he met Magnus, Alec was starting to figure out what he wanted in his life and could finally stand up to himself. He was more confident and motivated to go after what he wanted, and he had decided that people who couldn't accept who he was had no place in his life. And when he tried to think about what what have happened if Magnus hadn't made it back safely from Valentine... Well, the thought of it made him absolutely terrified. That was when he knew he was in love with Magnus Bane. It was clear now.

Alec knew he should be trying to get some sleep before the long day ahead, but he'd had enough of waiting. He didn't care that Valentine had not yet been caught. He didn't just want to see Magnus, he needed it. He needed to settle the battles in his heart and he couldn't do that without seeing Magnus.

Alec's thoughts about Magnus were multiplying in his mind until he realized he'd been staring at his door for the Angel knew how long. He suddenly realized how late it was, almost three in the morning and Alec wondered if he'd just made an unwise decision. He didn't want to disturb Magnus' sleep, but Alec also remembered him complaining about not being able to sleep since he had escaped Valentine, so instead of ringing the bell he risked a quiet knock on the door and hoped for the best.

To Alec's surprise, the door was answered almost immediately and a startled Magnus was facing him. Alec was caught off guard by his beautiful features immediately and breathing was becoming hard.

"Alexander?" Magnus asked hesitantly.

"Hey," Alec muttered. "I know it's late... I hope I didn't wake you." Alec swallowed his nervousness back to his stomach, hoping it would stay there and looked at Magnus waiting for some sign that said he was welcome.

"Are you hurt?" Magnus asked and scanned Alec's body with his eyes, which made Alec self-conscious about the way he must be looking. He didn't go to the Institute to change, but came here right after an intense demon battle, so he imagined he must look awful right now.

"No," Alec said quietly and looked away shyly.

"Are you okay?" Magnus seemed like he didn't catch Alec's previous answer.