Chapter 11: A Glimpse of Hope

"Not this again, Alec," Jace said shaking his head as Alec approached him holding a silver tie. Magnus's tie.

Alec had gone over to Magnus's loft as soon as he felt well enough to leave the Institute alone. He just wanted to feel Magnus's presence, but it wasn't easy. Nothing could make up for Magnus's absence and his loft had felt less warm and welcoming without him there. It was the first time he'd gone into his room and he had felt tense the whole time he was there. He didn't want to go through his stuff, that wouldn't have felt right, but the tie was just laying on the bed, like it was abandoned in a hurry, and Alec knew why. Magnus had left that tie on the bed and the tie drawer open, because he was in a hurry to save him. Alec had felt a lump in his throat as he grabbed the tie and held on to it like an amulet ever since. It was all he had left of Magnus. He had brought it back to the Institute and asked Jace to help him track Magnus with it.

Jace was not much of a help, though.

"We've discussed this, Alec. We can't track Magnus down." He was getting tired of this subject.

"Yes, we can. You just don't want to." Alec let his disappointment show, hoping to guilt Jace into it.

"No. It's pointless and you know it. So what if we know where Magnus is? It's not like we can barge in and get him out of there. He can't leave until he's finished whatever Valentine wants him to do," Jace argued. "Besides, you're not even strong enough."

"That's not true," Alec insisted. Even though he denied it, he knew what Jace was referring to. He hadn't been taking care of himself properly to recover from the demon blood. He was having trouble sleeping and pretty much never had an appetite, along with the constant headaches.

"Why won't you just help me, huh? You swore that you would always be here for me." Alec let the desperation leak into his voice, trying to make Jace change his mind about this. But that wasn't working.

"I am, Alec. You're just not seeing it." Jace looked at him pityingly, which Alec hated.

Alec didn't get the chance to reply to that, because his mother joined them wearing her Shadowhunter gear. He hastily stuffed Magnus's tie in his pocket before she could see it.

"Alec. Jace,"she greeted them formally.

"What is it now, mother?" Alec crossed his arms and stared at the floor. He was so not interested in hearing what his mother had to say. His parents had been staying at the Institute since the day they brought him back from Valentine, seven days ago, and she had been following his every move like some lost puppy. Alec was losing his patience with her.

"You know, that attitude is not helping anyone, Alec," she scolded him. "The Clave wants to know why the New York Institute is not taking more steps against the growing demon attacks in the city."

Alec didn't know what to say. It was true, there had been more demon attacks on the mundane world than in a long time and it was all thanks to Valentine, but there was a part of him that didn't care.

"Alec, you need to get yourself together. This pining over the warlock has to stop. There are more important things that need to be handled," His mother said sharply.

"More important things?" Alec asked, finally looking up at her. "I'm not interested in more important things, mom. Magnus saved my life. But you don't care, do you? To you he's worthless like all Downworlders. You're no different from the Circle. You might as well just go back to Valentine," He spat, enjoying the hurt that momentarily flashed across his mother's eyes.

"Alexander..." Maryse was too shocked at Alec's words. "How can you say that? After what he did to you..."

"Oh, like you care," Alec interrupted her angrily. "You don't care about me, you just don't want to let the Clave down. Again."