Chapter 17: Home

Magnus couldn't believe what was happening. He was standing in Alec Lightwood's bedroom. This was such an unexpected turn of events. But then again, the last two weeks had only presented him with unexpected events. Mostly unpleasant ones though, so Magnus was relieved for a change and a new wave of excitement rushed over his body.

He was so astonished by this event, it took him a couple of seconds to actually start looking around. His eyes wandered from the cream walls to the small wooden night stand that had a picture of Alec, Isabelle and a young boy who looked like he could be Alec's brother. The three of them looked so happy and Magnus had never seen such a genuine smile on Alec's face before. He decided he really liked that picture. Then his eyes continued to explore the white sheeted double bed, where they lingered for almost a minute, and then moved on to Alec's closet. Magnus was glad the sliding door was closed; that way none of Alec's unfashionable clothes would ruin his view, and also because it had a nice crayon drawing pinned on it. It was clumsily drawn, and for some reason Alec's hair was blue, obviously drawn by a toddler. It showed Alec holding up a bow, an arrow nocked, with a small child, Alec's little brother Magnus assumed, standing next to him with a tiny bow and arrow of his own, copying his pose. Magnus smiled at that drawing; he thought it was really sweet of Alec to keep it at his closet door, so every time he would change his clothes his eyes would meet it with fondness.

And that was basically all to see in Alec's room. There were no clothes lying around where they didn't belong; everything was at its rightful place. The room in general lacked personality; it was very simple and tidy, too neat for Magnus's taste.

Hmm, this place could use a little magic, Magnus thought tilting the top of his fingers together imagining the things he could improve in the room. If he had any magic, he would have conjured some brightly colored pillows and piled them on Alec's bed, and some flowers on his night stand to add a little color to the room. And that would have just been the start. But his makeover plans were interrupted when he noticed Alec had been watching him this whole time.

"Sorry," Magnus said and turned to Alec, who was almost leaning on the wall. "I'm all ears." He smiled at Alec and waited.

And eyes and lips and hands and arms and entire body, if that's what you want, Magnus thought as he looked into Alec's mesmerizing eyes. They just stared at each other for a while. Magnus didn't know what to expect from this mysterious call, but it surely was important if it made Alec so tense.

"I'm sorry about your magic." Alec broke the silence finally. His voice was deep but soft in a way that showed he meant those words.

Magnus's smile shrunk a little. He didn't know what to say to that. Now that his anger had been swept away, he felt this hole inside him, this empty feeling like when you compliment a friend and they completely ignore you. Magnus didn't like being ignored. He didn't like that his eternal friend, his magic, was giving him the coldest of shoulders. It felt like a crucial part of him was gone, like he was missing not only a friend, but a part of his soul. He looked down and let out a frustrated sigh.

"Has this ever happened to you before?" Alec asked curiously.

"No," Magnus admitted and looked up at him. "But I've never used so much magic at once either."

Alec gave him such a concerned look that Magnus was afraid his bitterness was showing in his voice. He shook his head and attempted a smile.

"Don't worry about it. It's only a matter of time before it comes back," Magnus answered wondering when that would happen. Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

"Is this why you asked me to come here?" He asked Alec, hoping to change the subject.

"No," Alec said and turned his head away shyly. Magnus waited patiently for him to take his time. He found Alec's struggle to express himself quite adorable. He was blushing even before speaking.