Chapter 4: Back in the Closet

Oooh, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap... what have you done, Izzy?

Isabelle had been walking up and down for the last ten minutes thinking about what she'd just done. Causing problems for Alec and Magnus was the last thing she wanted, but she might have just done exactly that. She didn't like the way Alec looked at her after her slip.

I bet he's sooo mad right now.

To confirm her suspicion, Alec stormed into Isabelle's room right after Magnus left the Institute. "I'm not talking to you for a week!" he declared it like he was declaring war.

"Oh, grow up, Alec! You really think he wouldn't have found out on his own?" Isabelle fought back.

"You're not helping, Izzy! You're never helping." Alec was panting.

"That's not fair. You know, I want to help you, Alec, but you're not letting me." Isabelle confronted him with her hands on her hips.

"Really? After everything that I've been through? You think it was easy for me to give up that wedding and declare myself to Magnus like that?"

"Then why are you resisting it so hard now? The hardest part is over. You already admitted you like him, Alec. The whole world knows. So what's the problem?"

"It's none of your concern, okay?" Alec lowered his voice, but his tone was still harsh. "Just keep yourself out of my life for now. I can't deal with any more drama, Izzy."

Isabelle wasn't sure if it was only her impression, but it looked like Alec was on the edge of tears and it hit her like a punch in the stomach.

"Alec... you can talk to me. About anything that's bothering you..."

"There's nothing bothering me. I have to go. They're waiting for me and I need to change." Alec turned his back on her and walked to the door.

"I'll go with you." Izzy said. She wanted to be there for him even if it was only for a mission.

"I don't need your help." Alec didn't even turn back to say that. He walked out of the room and shut the door behind him.

Isabelle crashed onto her bed with a sigh.

Well done on going back into the closet, big brother.

She knew Alec was still in pain and it killed her that she couldn't help him. She wanted him to be happy more than anything. It pained her that he was back at stage one, denying his feelings. It got her by surprise that Valentine's warlock hunt would hit him so hard. Alec was afraid of losing Magnus after just getting a taste of happiness with him. Isabelle understood that. She just wished he trusted her enough to talk to her about his feelings. Yeah, that's not happening anytime soon.

She laid on her back, closed her eyes and imagined a world where Valentine was defeated, Jace was back with them, everyone was safe, Alec was happy with Magnus, their parents accepted it, and Isabelle could be with... No. She wasn't going to think about her relationship drama. There were enough problems giving her a headache already.