The Profound Sadness

I gently wrap my wrist and wash the blood from the sink. 

On my way out of my bathroom, I look into the full-length mirror, the man reflecting back at me was not what I pictured myself to be. 

I looked there were dark circles under my eyes from lacking sleep. I lift up my loose fitting shirt to see my rib and hip bones clearly visible. My muscle mass was gone from being unable to eat due to the depression. 

It had been a month since the death of Darcy and my court trial was today. 

"Shawn?" 

I quickly put my shirt down and look out the bathroom to see Jonathan and Mia.

 "Hey guys!" I tried to be excited but my voice was raspy from throwing up so often. 

Their mouths drop when they see me. 

"Shawn..." Mia gasps and covers her mouth. Jonathan looks me over in disbelief. 

"Don't worry about me guys, I'm just stressed about today is all." I sigh, already exhausted from standing for too long.

 "Hey buddy, it's going to be okay. We have all the evidence and they found the guy alright? You're not going to prison." Jonathan grabs my shoulders and pulls me into a tight hug. 

"Shawn...I can feel all of your bones..."

Even my smallest suit was too big for my fragile state.

 I had locked myself up in my room for a month to mourn and hadn't noticed the weight loss until now. 

I had to borrow one from my brother Enrique who was a year younger than me and it was still a little loose. 

A shave and some cold water splashed on my face made me look somewhat awake but didn't get rid of the dark circles or the bags under my eyes. 

It's not like I didn't shower or clean up after myself when I was in here, but the day had barely begun and I was already exhausted.

Mia walks out of the car first and the press goes crazy with questions. She ignores them and I get out of the car next with Jonathan. 

The press falls silent when they see me. 

I knew I looked bad but not that bad.

 I walk past them with Jonathan's arm wrapped around my shoulder.