Chapter 7

Jared sat in the hospital bed, looking at the wrapped up box on the table beside him. How long was that there? Jared thought. He had only woken up about an hour ago, and most of that time he was just focused on Austin, so he hadn't really looked at his surroundings until now.

He moved his hand to the box and picked it up and brought it to him. He noticed that taped on the wrapping paper was a card, he pulled it off and looked at it. It was a get well soon card, he opened it and inside was a message, along with all of his friends' signatures. Jared smiled as he read the message.

We hope you get better soon Jared, we love you man. We may not have a ton of time left together but we're all gonna make the most of it. But we can't do that if you don't wake up soon you asshole. Jon don't write that. It's too late, it's in pen.

Then there were a few scribbles, suggesting they were fighting over the pen.

You two idiots are ruining the card. We're making it more interesting, at least I am. We don't need a bunch of sappy 'hope you get better messages.' Let me get in on some of this action, hi Jared. This is just getting really stupid. Well I was trying to write something nice. What's nicer than this?

Jared couldn't help but laugh a little as he read on. I can safely say that this was the best card I've ever gotten. Jared thought, setting the card down. He then started to unwrap the wrapping paper on the thin box, revealing, what Jared expected, a box.

He then proceeded to lift the top of the box, and inside it was a scrapbook, with a picture of himself and all of his friends on the cover. Jared opened it and looked through all the pictures, feeling melancholy but happy at the same time, he even felt tears start to prick his eyes. At the last page of the book, there was one last message scrawled at the back.

You better not forget about us, because then it'll make things really awkward when we meet each other again.

Jared sighed as he sat back against the bed, looking at the ceiling as he still smiled. I guess when I get out of here things are going to be a lot more different, aren't they? He felt sad about all the changes there would be, but he knew that it would all be for the best.

It was the next day, and Jared heard a knock at the door. He looked over at it when it suddenly burst open.

"Hey Jared!" Jon greeted.

"Did you miss us?" Paul said.

"Terribly." Jared replied in a jokingly deadpan voice. "It really is great to see you guys."

"It's great to see you too, you're looking better." Josh stated.

"Yeah, though you still kinda look like a vampire." Shane added. Jared laughed a little.

"Well I'm feeling better thanks to the scrapbook you guys made, thanks for that by the way." Jared said.

"You should thank Austin for that, it was his idea." Jirard informed, and Austin smiled sheepishly.

"But everyone worked on it." Austin said. The group continued to talk and the conversation kept branching off into different topics. It felt good to talk like this again, it had been a while since they had a conversation that didn't involve anything depressing.

It was about an hour and a half later, and slowly everyone began to leave, until Austin was the only one left. He took a seat next to Jared's bed, just like every time before. He had a serious expression on his face, signaling to Jared that something was wrong.