Chapter 13

"Jared? Are you awake?" Austin asked as he slowly opened the door, peering inside.

"Yeah." Jared replied, his hand laid over his face. As Austin expected, he looked just as weak and pale as he did yesterday. Austin then opened the door all the way and walked inside, sitting next to Jared like usual.

"So how are you feeling?" Austin inquired. Jared didn't say anything and just glanced at him with an 'are you serious?' expression. Austin smiled sheepishly. "Right, that was a stupid question, sorry."

"It's fine." Jared dismissed. "How are the others? I haven't seen them in forever." He asked, trying his best to sit up.

"Well they're not great, but they do feel better now that you're back. We've all been super worried when you were gone. They really wish they could come and visit you, they just haven't had the chance yet." Austin informed. Jared was quiet for a moment as he thought.

"So what have you been doing while I was gone?" Jared interrogated.

"Actually I've spent the whole time looking for you, I couldn't do anything else until I knew you were safe." Austin answered. "Who would've thought that I'd find you outside my door." Then Austin paused for a moment. He was a bit afraid to bring up the topic, but he couldn't help his curiosity. He had to know what happened during that month, how Jared made it to his house, ....what happened to his mother. He just couldn't help but ask.

"Um, Jared, how did you come to my house?" Austin questioned. Jared didn't respond. "Jared?"

"My memories of going to your house are a little fuzzy, I was in a daze at the time." He eventually replied.

"Before you came....do you remember where you were or how you got there?"

"I was.....somewhere dark....I was trapped in darkness for a long time. And I was trapped....with her." Jared said. His voice was trembling slightly, and his eyes were growing wide.

"You mean your mother right? Jared what happened there?" After he asked, Austin regretted saying anything. Jared began to hyperventilate and he brought his hands up to his chest. He started shaking his head and then spoke in mumbles.

"No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no." Then mumbles turned into shouts. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please don't do it! I'm sorry! You didn't have to do that!"

"Jared calm down it's okay! You don't have to say anything!" Austin said, now standing next to Jared with his hands on his shoulders, trying to settle him down. "You're okay now Jared, whatever happened it doesn't matter! Just forget I said anything!" Jared gripped his head in his hands and buried his face in his knees.

"It's all my fault! I did it! I'm worthless!" Jared shouted, digging his nails into his face.

"Jared!" Austin quickly grabbed Jared's wrists and pulled his hands away from his head. Jared then started to struggle out of Austin's hold.

"Let me go! I need to be punished! I need to be hurt! It's the only thing I can do right!"

"Jared don't say that!" Then the door of the room burst open, and a doctor with two nurses entered the room.

"What's going on in here!?" The doctor exclaimed. Austin then looked over at them.

"I can't calm him down!" Austin replied.

"Move out of the way, we'll take care of it!" He commanded in a authoritative tone. Austin complied and stepped away from Jared, letting him go, and the doctor and nurses rushed next to him. All the while Jared was still shouting as he twisted around in his bed.