tired

//AN: This one was kind of half assed tbh. It was based off the book when they were //spoiler//laced with sleeping tea????//

"Hey Zane." Kai spoke up, flicking his fork in his hand. Zane looked up from his plate of baked beans and bread, still chewing on a mouthful. He swallowed and looked Kai in the eyes.
"What's up?"
"I'm gettin' tired. I'm gonna go back to the house, that cool?"
Zane blinked for a moment and looked back at his food, poking at the pile of beans. "Sure thing buddy."
Kai smiled and put a hand on Zane's shoulder, earning his attention back. "Come home safe, 'kay?"
Zane was quiet for a moment and looked back out at the people of the village, sitting around at the long table. They all seemed to keep to themselves as Kai excused himself from the table. He nodded and began to scoop up more food, shoving it in his mouth. As Kai left the diner, Zane couldn't help but to think about the people of his adored village. These were...the people he grew up with. And yet, they didn't bat one eye at him. Even Genn didn't want them here. His blue mechanical eyes glint and he shook his head.
'Focus on eating, Zane.'
---
Zane had let himself out of the diner after he was full. Half the table had already excused themselves already so he assumed that it was a good time to split. He fixed the white scarf he tucked around his neck and stepped into the snow. Zane squinted and looked up at dotted sky, noticing that it was flurrying. It made him smile. Snow was such a wonderful thing. Zane happily leaped out into the snow, making a loud crunch as he watched the snow fall daintily onto the ground. Even though he wasn't a kid anymore, that didn't stop him from playing a little bit in his favorite weather. He took a handful of snow and threw it into the sky. The snow he threw came plummeting down on Zane's face. He chuckled and started jogging in tiny circles, snow being mercilessly thrown everywhere. Zane played in the snow for a good five minutes before he finally tired himself out. His cheeks felt warm and he was almost completely wet from the surrounding fallen snowflakes. Zane sighed happily and started to trudge through the snow, now ready to go back to his temporary home.
---
With each step home, Zane swore his eyelids got heavier and heavier. He was just about at the door and he felt like he was about to topple over into the snow. Zane let oud a loud yawn and turned the knob to the door. He entered without a second thought and locked the door when he entered. His body craved the warmth of his bed for the first time in a very long time. The thoughts of the day were still reeling in his mind. How Genn wanted nothing to do with him...how everyone was plain out scared of his presence alone...none of it made sense. Zane groaned as he carelessly threw his scarf onto the couch. He was half tempted to throw himself as well onto the couch and pass out there. Zane decided that he really just wanted to make it to bed and pull the covers over him and trailed down the small hallway. It was getting darker and darker by the second, so he let his hand probe at the walls. He came across another doorknob and didn't hesitate to use it. Zane slowly creaked the door open, careful to not wake Kai. He poked his head in and swiveled his head side to side.The window of the room was half open, letting cold air flush freely into their bedroom. Then there was Kai on one of the two medium sized beds. Kai was all sprawled out over the covers. Zane opened the door even more seeing him asleep, smiling brightly.
He always thought Kai looked somewhat adorable when he slept.
The white ninja slowly shut the door, making sure he locked it as well. Zane kept his eyes on Kai, focusing in on his face. His teammate seemed to look uncomfortable in sleep, his eyebrows knitted and his mouth slightly tugged in a small frown.
"Should'a shut the window..." Zane whispered to the sleeping ninja, walking across the room. He shut the window easily before turning around and walking back over to Kai. Zane blinked and tilted his head.
"...Ngh...'ts...too cold..." Kai sputtered in his sleep, thrashing onto his side. He let out a grunt and his muscles slowly relaxed back down. Zane's smile was evident. He grew closer up to Kai instead of his own bed, his heart set on one thing. Ever so gently, he crawled into the bed, shuffling among the green covers. He made sure that he pulled the covers out from under of Kai and laid them over the two of them. Zane heard a content sigh from his opposite. He snuggled in closer and looked Kai in the face. He looked happy.
"...I loa...ve youug..."
Zane's eyebrows raised. A small, warm feeling was on his cheeks now. But...he wasn't in the snow...he wasn't cold. Zane felt a uncomfortable air between them for a few seconds, but the white ninja found himself feeling warm in the pit of his stomach. Zane cuddled in close and snaked his hands around Kai's torso. He let out a small whimper as he shoved his face into Kai's chest.
Kai was...so warm.
He wondered how Kai could be cold earlier with this much body heat. Zane chuckled lightly and his hands started to roam. He moved up to Kai's hair and softly started to play with it, knowing that Kai hated it whenever some breathing soul would actually mess with it. Playing with the wild deep brown locks gave him a hard reminder that Zane needed sleep. Tiredness struck him like a bus, his eyelids almost dropping immediately. With a groan, he made sure he was as close as he could humanly get with Kai and gave in to sleep.
Zane never regret that night.