Cooling Off

(Set around late Season 2 probably)

Kai was used to immense amounts of heat. He could run through flaming hot coals with ease, roll through fire like it was nothing, the like. But today's weather was an exception. Zane and Kai were outside, trying to avoid containment in the sauna that was the Destiny's Bounty. The temperature today was a scorching 105 Fahrenheit (40 Celsius), and Kai couldn't take it. The white ninja was sitting next to him on the grassy hillside that was located a good half a mile from the temporary anchored airship.
"...Kai?"
The casually dressed red ninja blinked, attention drove to his friend. "What's up?"
"You seem unwell."
Kai narrowed his eyes. "What gives you that idea?"
"Your body overall temperature seems..." Zane hovered his hand over Kai's own in a small gesture. "...extremely high."
Kai huffed, his eyes rolling to the side. If there was one thing that really got on his nerves, it was Zane's assertiveness about his wellbeing. Even if Kai let out a cough or two during training, Zane would most likely assure Sensei Wu that he would care for a supposedly 'ill' Kai and take him inside for the day. This would lead to a quarrel between ice and fire, but it would likely end with fire loosing and ice tending to his 'illness'. Kai could even go as far as to label Zane as a overprotective mother figure, always on his case and worrying about what he was doing and where he was going.
"I'm fine. It's just a thing my body does. No worry." Kai sighed, sitting back in the grass as another wave of gushed through his body. The wave of heat sat uneasily on his relaxed shoulders, threatening to tense his muscles right back up. In response to this, Kai groaned and tilted his head back.
"It seems to be bothering you. You need to cool down."
Kai groaned again at Zane's suggestion, straightening his legs out and kicking one out to the air.
"And how am I gonna do that? Fly all the way to Birchwood Forest and take a dip?" He motioned with one hand, making a slow swipe up towards the sky.
"I can cool you down. If you were as kind as to let me." Zane nodded, not wanting to touch Kai without the red ninja's consent. The brunette sat up straight, something glittering in his eyes. Would Zane really be able to make him colder? He would give the world for that right about now.
"As-as long as you down turn me into a icicle, then yeah, give it a shot."
Zane grinned, patting Kai's shoulder. "Then will you please turn onto your back? It would be easier to administer my powers through there."
Kai suddenly felt flustered. He hoped to the First Spinjitsu Master that Zane didn't pick up on that of all things. Kai lost himself in thought for a moment before lowering his head and nodding. In the most awkward way possible, he shuffled down onto the grass entirely and laid his face down in the blades of green. He sprawled out on the terrain, making even him almost laugh about how stupid he probably looked.
"Here, let me help." Zane said, the slightest hint of laughter traced in his voice. He gently took Kai's cheeks and lifted his head up, much to Kai's surprise. Zane, now crisscrossed in the grass, led Kai's face into his warm lap, causing the red ninja to become even redder than ever before.
"Comfortable are we?" Giggled the white ninja.
"I guess!" Kai laughed back.
Kai felt the back of his shirt raise off his skin, letting a rush of hot air flow through the newly exposed area of his back. He twitched at it, causing a small laugh to escape Zane.
"Sorry!"
"It's no problem."
Zane tipped his head in a nod and carried on. His palms hovered over the sweaty skin that Kai donned, noticing how tense it was. He mumbled something incoherent to Kai before gently prodding at the center of his spinal cord. Zane did this a couple times before earning a chortle out of the red teen.
"Dude, that tickles!"
"My apologies, Kai." Snickered the white ninja in reply. His hands were now ready to do their work, palms landing on kai's unconcealed back.
Kai drew in a sharp breath of air, his lungs awkwardly half filled. The cold hit his back in a surge and left the icy feeling speeding down other parts of his body. The sharp feeling of ice slowly faded however as time went on. Zane kept his hands at a steady momentum, rubbing them up and down slowly across Kai's spine as he unleashed a low amount of elemental energy into the fellow ninja. After a minute or so of administration, Zane could hear a slight purr emitting from his fellow teammate. He recognized that sound and paired it with an emotion stored in his manufactured brain.
'Contentment'
Zane was happy that he could help his hothead friend calm down from the heat, and he was most certainly delighted to bring his bodily temperature back down to one that was semi-reasonable for the Master of Fire. The ice ninja kept at the cooling process for a strong five minutes before suddenly stopping, his hands still gently probed into Kai's now lukewarm skin. It took a second for Kai's head to pick up.
"Why'd you stop?"
"You seemed-"
"Keep goin'," Kai insisted with venom in his tone. "It's really nice, I have to admit it."
Zane stared blankly at Kai, wondering if this was the same Kai he knew and loved, or some imposter. Nevertheless, Zane smiled and shook his head gently.
"If you insist."