cooking...? (Quick)

Zane tapped the rim of the bowl, trying to get Kai's attention. Kai looked over at Zane, finishing the last tie to his apron.
"Yeah, yeah. I know. Don't get your robot underwear in a twist." Joked Kai, brushing crumbs from previous use off the frills of the apron.
"Actually, I don't wear robotic undergarments. You of all people should know that, Kai." Zane said sternly, heading to a cupboard across the kitchen. Kai rolled his eyes and smiled.
Zane got onto his tippy-toes and searched inside the cupboard, his hand running carelessly over various ingredients. He made a 'ooh' sound when he felt what he was looking for. Zane grabbed at something and brought it out.
"Just what we needed! Vulture beaks."
Kai wore a disgusted look as Zane put the jar of multiple sized beaks down next to the parade of other ingredients Zane had conjured up out of the cupboards. He didn't know if Zane was making a potion or actual human food. His eyes grazed over the collection of sorts. Black and purple looking berries, giblets of some sort of beast, green globs of goop on a napkin, and a bunch of funky looking seeds to name a few. Kai wondered how he honestly was going to eat this when it was all done.
"So...uh...I know you told me earlier but...what are we making?" Kai asked, wincing at the future answer.
"It's Junkyard Cake. It ran in the Walker family, originally created by Bohibus Walker."
"Bohibus?"
"One of Jay's ancestors."
Kai chortled. Bohibus. Guy probably got picked on in school.
"The pots are all ready to go. Would you be a dear and get the eggs?" Zane said, his hand finding it's way on Kai's. Kai blushed and nodded. He withdrew from the counter and found himself at the fridge. Kai obediently got the eggs and brought them back.
"Thank you, Kai." Zane nodded, taking the eggs and opening them. It was time to get to work.
---
"Now you turn on the mixer." Zane instructed. Kai looked over the mixer, trying to find the 'on' switch. After a few agonizing seconds, Zane tapped his shoulder and pointed it out for him. Kai quietly thanked him and turned it on. The mixer started slow, the bowl beneath the mixers turning ever so slowly. Kai was giddy that he had helped. So giddy that he bounced when the mixer started. Zane smiled warmly and patted Kai's back.
"You've been a very good helper."
Kai pecked Zane's cheek. "I try."
The fire master was ecstatic, so happy that he was finally learning how to cook. But then he remembered...what they had put in that 'cake'.
He gulped.
He hoped that he was going to make it to see another day.