Instead of leaving (say goodbye)

Pairing: Stiles and Derek

His eyelashes fell like feathers against his cheeks, tears gathered to look like dewdrops along the lining of his eyes.

He was beautiful, even in the face of such obvious sorrow.

"Stiles." Derek whispered, gaze trailing down sharp cheekbones and a set jaw.

"I know Derek, I know." Stiles breathed in, chest twitching upwards. "But for now can we just, just lie here? Pretend that this is gonna last. Could you do that for me? Pretend like everything is alright for just one more day, because Derek. I can't do this otherwise."

Stiles' eyes opened to meet his lovers, and Derek felt his breath catch on a gasp at the heartbreak there.

Derek's hand trailed along the dangerous edge of his jaw, fingers catching beneath Stiles' chin and thumb resting against his ever present dimple.

"I know, love. But we can't," Stiles had started shaking his head, burrowing himself ever further into the comforting warmth of Derek behind him. Derek tightened his hold on the other man's jaw and turning his face towards him, "Hey, we can't just pretend nothing's wrong.

We can't stay here forever."

The tears had begun leaking out of those honey brown eyes, "That's not true. We could. Stay here, that is.

You could stay."