Chapter 21: Change (Finale Part 1)

(Y/N)'s POV:

I stayed up almost the entire night reading about Shadow Knights. I feel like I knew more than the Shadow Knights themselves. Shad picked each and every single one of them for a reason, and judging that Zane came back, I bet it's because he had information on Irene. Seeing as he escaped the Nether, my conclusion is that Zane betrayed the Shadows Knights for an unknown reason. I just hope he doesn't hurt anyone. I feel as if in his absence, I have started to lose faith in him. Thinking back on it, I was stupid and naive. I should not have let my guard down so easily. I wish that I could take it all back. The side effect of my stupidity is that I still love him deep inside. I cannot ever let it show ever again, otherwise the others would hate me. I don't want them to hate me, so I must lock them deep inside until it becomes okay to love him again... If I will still love him. I went outside with a tired expression. I don't actually need to sleep, so I changed how I looked by making myself look tired so no one suspects me. The only person who knows what I can really do is Zane. He was there that day. I know I told the others, but it has been forgotten. I can't tell whether that is a good thing or not. I know Aphmau is hunting for her memories, and I know how she can gain them back, but I would rather prefer her to find them herself. It would be pointless if I had helped her instead. I start heading towards the prison. I need information about Shad, and he's the only one who knows about Shad. I realized that Shad had come back a while ago, I could feel his unsettling darkness fill the air. As I entered the small prison, I can remember what it used to be and how much it had improved. I smiled softly, reminiscing on warm memories, but I stopped as soon as I heard his voice. "What a warm smile. Opposite to what you looked like yesterday. Are you happy to see me?" Zane asked dauntingly. I glared at him. "Of course not, Shadow Knight," I spat. I could sense his distaste. "Oh come on (Y/N)... What happened to you? You used to adore me." "Used to. Not anymore." I wanted to leave, but I knew I had to get the information. "I'm going to get straight to the point. What are Shad's plans?" I asked with an icy tone. He seemed shocked when I asked him about it. "How did you know he was alive? Well, I shouldn't underestimate you. And apparently he wants revenge on Irene while..." He went silent until he looked back at me with a dark expression as he finished his sentence saying, "He wanted to kill either you or me. Seems like he heard about what happened before I died." I froze in place. Then I started to laugh. He seemed taken aback. He was confused. "He knows he can't kill me. So that's why you ran away huh? How funny. Well, good luck on escaping his wrath," I said coolly. I had gotten all of the information I needed, so I left the small prison. I then waited for Shad to arrive. There was an evil feeling in the air, so I could tell that he would come for me soon. I went up the hill towards the Irene statue and sat there, enjoying the view. Maybe it was meant to happen. I just hope that no one else except me will be punished. I know that Shad will not hesitate in trying to kill me as soon as he sees me so I will take him on without hurting him. For of course, it is not his body. Rather, it's Aaron's body, but he stole it. If Shad comes for me, instead of running away like a coward, I will take the blunt of his attacks over and over until he stops. Either that or I die. Both conclusions are fine to me. Golden blood will stain his blade and the ground that day. I cannot wait. Then, I heard someone cry out that Zane had escaped. I rise to my feet, but a crimson red sword gets raised to my neck. The person behind me, he was so familiar. I almost wanted to let him hold me in his arms but I knew that I would never let him do so ever again. The sword got lowered, but it was still out. "(Y/N), are you crazy? There was a hint of sarcasm in your voice while you said that he couldn't kill you. Do you have  a death wish?" I looked at him, something in my eyes screamed grief. "When you live forever, you start to wish that you were rather dead. After living so long, you either lose your emotions or you lose the will to keep going. The sad thing is, the fact that you cannot die is the thing that feels worse than death. Do you really think that I want to see everyone I care about die again and again and again as they get reborn? That future is bleak and there is no point in continuing. Humans interest me, but I wish that I was rather born one. It would be a blessing to die at this point." His face... His eye seemed so pained. Of course, it is an expression that I have seen so many people make. This is not new for me. I just hope I die at Shad's hands. If I don't, I just hope he doesn't kill Zane. I seem to hate him on the outside, but deep down I sincerely care about him. I get snapped out of my thoughts as he pulled me into an embrace. I could feel tears fall onto my shoulder. We stand there in silence for a bit until he suddenly ran away. I sighed and looked at the direction of Brightport. I had to visit that portal. Even if he doesn't want me to die, I think it's time. Ro'aun does not need me any longer than I have been here. They have formidable armies and kingdoms that fend for their own even without me. My wings unfurl as I jump off the cliff and fly off to Brightport. When I got there, I went to the place where the Nether Portal was located and I entered the Nether.

Shad's POV:

A celestial presence filled my realm as I stared out of my castle. I smirked evilly as I could identify who had entered the Nether. She had finally paid me a visit. Now I will do her the honor of killing her. I went and got ready to meet her while telling my loyal Shadow Knights to bring her to me, using force if necessary.

 Third Person POV: 

(Y/N) saw the Shadow Knights approach her, but she did not flee or try to escape. "We were given orders to take you to Shad. If you do not cooperate, we will use force," one of the Knights said. She simply smiled and then  silently without words followed them to Shad. The Shadow Knights were taken aback. There had never been anyone so willing to follow them. She seemed relaxed and peaceful, so they were very confused. Inside (Y/N)'s thoughts, the only thing she could think of was that she would embrace death as she was walking towards the ultimate embodiment of darkness. Right now, he was corrupted with anger and revenge, but long long ago, he was a misunderstood figure, filled with inward caring. As (Y/N) approached Shad, he pulled out his sword. For a minute, they stood there silently. When (Y/N) finally looked at his face, she could have sworn that she saw a look of regret, before it was replaced with anger. Shad charged at (Y/N), not holding back whatsoever. As she saw him coming, she did not move or take out any weapon. Shad, thinking that she was being stupid, took this opportunity to slash her across her torso. (Y/N), although showing pain for a split second, did not move still. As Shad kept slashing her over and over again, the ground became covered in her golden blood, glinting red from lava and the red tint on the window. (Y/N) could only feel pained as she would not die, no matter how many times Shad had slashed her. Then, after Shad was prepared for another strike, a crimson sword had blocked this blow. (Y/N), covered with her own blood and many wounds still bleeding out, looked up at the owner of the crimson sword and her eyes widened.