Chapter Thirteen

"Casey?" Rose whispers to me after I sweep up the last of the hair on the floor. "That guy from last week is here again. Did you do his hair wrong?"

Confused, I turn around. Tyler is standing outside, leaning against one of the poles that holds up the awning over the salon. He's scrolling through his phone.

It's already eight and we're closed. I was finishing sweeping up the last of the hair, and then I can leave.

"Do you want me to call the police?" She asks.

"No, he's my boyfriend." I smile at her.

"Oh. Oh, okay." She laughs nervously. "How long have you been together?"

"Emotionally? Twenty four years." I say. "But officially...eleven years, and then we broke up, and now it's been a week."

"How old are you?" She asks.

"Twenty four."

Her eyebrows rise, and then she smiles.

"You guys have been together since you were children?"

"Yes." I smile.

I'm happy to see Tyler. I haven't seen him since he left after we messed around in the shower. I've been working nine to eight every day to make up for the time when I will be in Florida. We haven't had a chance to talk at all, and it wasn't until I got off work the day after he asked me out that I realized I don't even have his phone number or his address. I didn't panic though. I knew he would come to me eventually, and I've been so busy. I had to get a new license that isn't the state of California, and I had to change my tag on my truck to Massachusetts, and fit in grocery shopping. I leave for Florida in twelve days.

"Well you can go ahead and go." She says. "I'll finish up."

"Are you sure?" I ask her.

"Sure. Go on, be in love."

I smile

"Thank you, Rose."

I grab my bag and clock out, walking outside.

When Tyler hears the door open, he looks up from his phone. He shoves his phone in his pocket and walks towards me, pulling me into a tight hug.

"I need your phone." He murmurs, pulling away from me. I fish it out of my purse and hand it to him.

He guesses my password on his first try and goes straight to my contacts.

He adds me himself and then texts his phone, pulling out his phone to add me to his contacts.

"Let's go." He says.

_____

We drove to my apartment complex, but instead of going straight, he went right, drove down three buildings, and parked.

Kathryn has outdone herself to get us back together. We live in the same complex.

I didn't even question it as we walked up the steps to his door. He didn't have to put the key in. He walks inside and tosses his keys on a table by the door, shedding his shoes and coat. He disappears into a bedroom for a moment and then comes back. I wander deeper into the apartment. Drew sits at the countertop bar with a menu in his hand.