Chapter Sixteen

It was well past midnight when he lifted his head off of my shoulder. He was quiet for nearly an hour before he did. My whole body was stiff and I'm sure his was too, but he pulled away from me and we just sat there, looking at each other through the darkness of the room. I could hear both of our phones ringing off the hook. We skipped dinner, but his eyes are bloodshot and dropping from how much he cried. He still hasn't said a word. He slipped into the bathroom and was in there for a few minutes with his suitcase before he came back with wet hair. His face is still red and he looks exhausted.

I slipped into the bathroom and took a quick shower and shaved and brushed out my wet hair and brushed my teeth and went back into the room. He's standing next to the bed in a fresh pair of underwear, studying his phone.

When he hears me approach, he turns.

"I guess Mitchell and Kyle left to go back to Arizona. He told her he's putting your Mom's things in a storage unit and is filing for divorce. Everything she bought she keeps, everything he bought he keeps. Drew said your Mom wasn't even sad, which is weird." He looks back at the screen. His eyes are swollen, but I say nothing. "And then I guess Sam flipped shit and starts throwing all of your Dad's things on the lawn. She said either he takes his shit and goes or she takes him to court for the house and everything he owns."

"They're both getting kicked out?"

"I guess."

"Where are they going to go?"

Please don't ask to say at my house, please don't ask to stay at my house-

"No clue. My Mom is having a conniption because we weren't answering the phone...I don't know what to tell her. I don't-" he cuts off, his forehead creasing. "Casey, don't tell anybody."

"I won't." I promise, walking over to him. I place a soft kiss on my lips. "I'll never tell a soul unless you want me to."

"Okay." He says. "They've apparently been parked in your Dad's truck for hours. They want to drive up to Boston. Tonight."

"They want to drive to Boston?" I ask. "That's far!"

"Your Mom is freaking out because she can't afford to get a new place and your Dad is freaking out because he has nowhere to stay and our Mom's are freaking out because they don't know where they're spending Thanksgiving. So now they're going to Boston but they won't leave until they hear from us. You should check your phone, Darling."

He's acting like his usual calm self again. I walk over to my purse and pull it out, just missing a phone call from my Mom.

Two seconds later, it starts ringing again.

Kathryn

I press answer and put it on speaker.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Where are you guys?" She questions. "We have been trying to reach your for hours!"

"We're in a hotel." I say.

"Why haven't you answered the phone? What have you been doing?"

Tyler gives me a panicked look.

"Sleeping." I lie.

"Right. That's what you were doing. Can you send me your location?" She asks.