Chapter Fourteen

I stop walking abruptly, causing Tyler to slam into the back of me.

"I'm sorry." He says, moving to stand in front of me. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." I say, my eyes flitting anxiously around the airport. "Is it too late to change my mind?"

He gives me a sad smile.

"It's going to be fine, Casey." Drew says.

"I'm worried about my parents. Actually, I'm terrified to be around my parents. This is the first time in almost ten years that all of us were together, but now Mom is sober and married, and Dad is married." I press my palm to my forehead with my right hand, shifting the strap of my duffle bag on my right shoulder with my left.

"It's going to be okay." Tyler says.

"And I haven't spoken to Mom since she told me I was coming, and Dad-" I cut off, my heart thudding loudly. "I'm scared."

Tyler lets my suitcase stand on it's own, pulling me into his arms. He rests his chin on my forehead.

"It's going to be okay." He says. "I'm here, okay? I'm not leaving. If it gets too bad and you want to go, I'll drive the getaway car. Promise."

"Okay." I swallow nervously.

He pulls away and plants a soft kiss on my lips.

"Ready?" He asks.

"I guess."

We start walking again, going outside and flagging down a taxi. Drew sits in the front and Tyler and I get in the back after the boys load up the trunk with the four suitcases. I keep my duffel on my lap.

"Where to?" The driver asks.

"106 Northeast 21st avenue." I say. "Cape Coral." I add.

He types the address into the GPS.

In two point two miles, keep left to merge onto I-75 toward Tampa

The driver starts driving, and I reach out, searching for Tyler's hand without turning away from the window. His warm hand finds mine, his fingers linking through mine. His thumb caresses the back of my hand.

How can somebody calm nerves with just a simple touch?

_____

The destination is on your left.

The taxi driver starts to pull into Mary Beth's driveway instead of my Dad's.

"It's not that one. It's the next one, with the white truck and the red SUV." I say.

"Whoops, sorry." The driver says.

"It's okay." I respond.

He stops the cab outside and Drew and Tyler split the cost before I can even reach for my wallet.

Once he's paid, I unbuckle my seatbelt.

"Can you open the trunk please?" Tyler asks politely.