Heartbeat

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

My heartbeat was too loud. I couldn't even hear my own thoughts. I saw him push through the crowd, coming toward me.

I told myself there was no way he was coming towards me, but then he looked right at me and smiled. I blushed, looking down at my cup.

"Hey, Becca right?"

I look up to see his blue eyes, shadowed by thick lashes. He was stunning. Too perfect, and completely and utterly too good for me.

"Ummm, yeah. Kyle?"

Kyle smiles and nods.

"I didn't think you'd come to a party like this," Kyle says, gesturing to the sweaty room full of drunk adults.

"I don't usually. I got dragged here by my friends."

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

My heart seemed to race as we talked. I couldn't get it to calm down. I couldn't figure out if it was my attraction toward him or my flight or fight instinct in me telling me to run from a predator.

"Hey, do you want to go for a walk, it's a bit too stuffy in here for me."

"Sure."

I follow Kyle outside. My heart continued to race. What was going on? This was not like me.

Not paying attention to where I was walking, Kyle grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the way of a stumbling drunk man.

"Thank you," I say quietly.

"My pleasure, my lady."

Kyle continues to hold my hand, leading me out of the house to the back yard.

"Where are we going?"

"There's a really pretty spot out by the lake I think you'll like."

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

The lake... Right. I took a deep breath, praying that my heart would stop racing. I had nothing to worry about. I'd known Kyle for several years now. Well, not really known personally. But he didn't seem like the kind of person who would... I don't know, be crazy.

"Are you cold?" Kyle asks, looking up and down my bare arm.

I looked down and noticed my goosebumps.

"No, I'm alright."

He smiles, continuing to lead me closer to the lake.

It was beautiful. The moon was full tonight, the light reflecting off the still water. The wind blew softly through the trees and caused small ripples on the surface of the water.

"It's beautiful," I say, mostly to myself.

"I thought you might like it."

We stood there, taking in the beauty for a long moment.

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

Was he going to say anything? I turn to look at him but he's not there anymore.

"Your heart has been racing since I started talking to you, did you realize that?" Kyle whispers into my ear.

He was standing behind me now.

"Y-Yes." I say softly.

"Hmmm. Your heartbeat is so very distracting, my dear."

My heart began to race again. What was he talking about?

"I-I should probably head back to the house." I turn quickly, trying to leave.

"I don't think so."

Kyle grabs me roughly. I try to scream by he covers my mouth. What was he going to do to me? Tears gathered in my eyes, spilling out.

"Do not scream, do you understand? If you scream I will not hesitate to snap your neck."

I nod quickly, afraid he will do exactly that.

He releases me, keeping me close.

"When I saw you I could hardly believe my eyes. You look like someone I used to know. But as I got closer I realized that you weren't her. Funny isn't it? But instead of ignoring you, I thought it might be fun to play a little game, how about that?"

"What do you want from me?" I cried out, trying to stay quiet so he would kill me.

"I want you to run, my dear."

It took me a moment to register what he had said. When it finally clicked I turned and ran as fast as I could.

I could hear him laughing behind me.

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

My heart raced as I ran, terrified of what he'd do if he caught me. I ran through the trees, I realized too late that he'd put himself in front of the house so that when I ran I couldn't run towards the house.

I tried to turn my path more towards the house but I could suddenly hear him behind me. He didn't sound human, growls mixed with laughs. Tears fell from my eyes with the realization that Kyle was catching up.

I was violently grabbed and pushed up against a tree.

"Nice try, little one."

"Please, let me go! Please don't hurt me!"

"Oh you poor little thing. So scared. Your heart racing. If your heart beats any faster, I'm afraid it might burst." Kyle laughs.

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

I feel myself begin to slide down the tree as my body gives up. Kyle catches me.

"You're no fun for me if you're passed out."

"Please," I couldn't keep the tears from falling.

Kyle pins me up against the tree with his body and takes my head in his hands. His thumbs rub away my tears.

"Shhhh. There's no need to be afraid. This won't hurt, much."

Suddenly Kyle's biting my neck. I scream out, confused what's happening.

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

My heart raced and then started to slow down. My head began to hurt, my vision getting blurry. I was fading fast. I was losing too much blood. Oh god, he was drinking my blood. What the fuck was he? A vampire?

Kyle pulls away, blood dripping from his chin.

"You are simply scrumptious my dear."

"What the fuck are you?" I growl out, pain in my neck starting to numb.

"Language, dear. But I'm a vampire."

"Are you going to kill me?" I ask, new tears falling from my eyes.

"Maybe someday. But not now. You are simply too delicious to just get rid of."

"What are you going to do with me?"

"I'm going to feed on you until I get bored of you. Maybe fuck you, maybe play with that little head of yours until you think you're going crazy. I'm going to make it very clear to you that you are mine."

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

Kyle picks me up and I cry as he carries me away from my life.

Ba bump, ba bump, ba bump.

-----------

So, yeah that my short story for today. I opted for a vampire theme mostly cause I've been binge watching The Vampire Diaries! 

Well, I hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading!