Breathing

"Alfred, wake up! It's almost nine already!"

A familiar, soft voice rang through the room reaching Alfred's ears, and the dusty blonde American boy knew it was time to wake up for something he had always learnt to dread...

School.

Oh, how he hated it. The students, the teachers, the homework and the unnecessary projects their Biology teacher loved to give them every single week.
Truth be told, he never did a single one of those right. No wonder his grades were getting lower and lower by each day - from a straight A student to a not-so-deserved C student.

"Fine, I'm up, I'm up..." Alfred groaned and rolled around in the warm comfort of his bed for another moment as his little brother Matthew stood there, backpack across shoulder, glaring at his lazy older brother who could usually always wake up well on weekends, but never on school days.

He wondered why that was so.

Alfred and Matthew Jones were two American brothers from New York who now lived in London with only their father, who was still not over the tragic loss of their dear mother which happened around four years ago from an illness unknown to both of the children.
While Alfred was sixteen, Matthew was fourteen, but it seemed to other people as if they were twins by how they looked. Both had soft, blonde hair with a small curl sticking out the side of it, but the younger Jones brother grew his hair out to almost shoulder length. They both wore glasses, and people mostly distinguished one from the other by their personalities.
Matthew was shy, introverted, calm and soft spoken, a hardworking student who never missed a single class, but his brother...

Oh, his brother.
Alfred was always cheerful, or so he appeared, and it seemed like nothing was able to bring him down. He loved music, and excelled at playing piano. His hobbies consisted of composing, singing, writing lovestruck song lyrics and a couple of songs that he would never be able to show anyone.
He loved people, hanging out with friends, and could bury himself in endless chatting with a person if he had the time on his hands.
Although he was social, Alfred didn't have many friends.
His best friends were Gilbert, an equally cheerful, cool German boy who just moved to London a year ago, a total troublemaker Elizabeta who Gilbert was definitely crushing on, Mathias, a Danish boy who sometimes hung out with their little group and...
Arthur. Arthur Kirkland. A gorgeous English boy who was a year older than Alfred, making him seventeen years old, a sporty type who seemed to have something against French people.

Arthur was simply amazing. Ever since Alfred came to London, he had his eyes on him. On that beautiful soft, light blonde locks of hair he wanted to run his fingers through to that lips that clearly suggested they were good to kiss.
Oh, Alfred was so in love with him.

But of course, what would a sporty, kind of grumpy and somewhat 'popular' British boy do with a loud and obnoxious American piano player?

Alfred didn't see a chance with him, and he could swear that Arthur didn't like boys the way he did.

Little did he know, Arthur Kirkland reciprocated his feelings.

- - -

On their way to school, by foot since they missed the bus already from Alfred's sleepiness, the Jones brothers didn't find any of their friends. Of course, nobody was that late to school besides them.

"Alfred, you'll pay for this. I've never been late to school before!" Matthew spoke in an irritated voice and threw a glare towards his big brother.

Alfred just smirked. "Come on, everyone's late once or twice in their life. If you're me, about ten times in two weeks."

"Lazy ass."

"Hey, I do all my work! I just don't do it right most of the times. Not my fault math is so confusing." The older American complained with a childish frown proudly slapped onto his facial expression.

"Math is easy. If you want, I can help with that."

"Smartass, I doubt you'd be able to do year eleven math."

"Oh, never mind, we don't have time for this now! We have five more minutes until second period starts!" Matthew grabbed Alfred by the arm and pulled him so they'd run faster, and not get lost in small talk.

They were already able to see the big, yellow building which resembled their school, and Alfred already felt shivery at the sight of it. The school was enormous, with over two thousand students going to it every single day.

The entrance was huge - a big, glass door which opened automatically, programmed to sense somebody was about to step through. Pretty modern, and it surprised the two brothers the first time they had gone here.

The doorkeeper greeted them with a hand motion which clearly said stop right there, and Alfred couldn't help but roll his eyes at him.

"Boys, why are you coming to school so late?" The older man's voice rang through the big hall on the ground floor of the school.

"Uh, I slept in." Alfred immediately admitted, and the doorkeeper sighed before scribbling something down on a piece of paper, motioning for them to go to the classrooms on the upper floor.

"Thanks!" The boys said in unison before running off Alfred to the History classroom, Matthew to English right before the bell rang for the second period to begin.

Phew, they were right in time for it to begin.

- - -

Hours flew by, and they were still stuck in school.
It sometimes seemed really endless.
Alfred was now stuck in Biology class, listening to some really boring stuff about genetics and some kind of Punnett square he didn't even understand. Why would he care would his kids have green or blue eyes, or whether they would have blonde or red hair? He wasn't planning on ever having them anyway.
He was surely not interested in it.

Blankly writing down what the teacher put on the blackboard, he sighed and almost fell asleep if it weren't for his desk mate, Elizabeta, who kept him sane in almost every class except Maths, where he sat with Arthur - which is another reason why he was extremely close to failing the class, not his fault Arthur was a big distraction - and Chemistry, where he was sadly put next to this really grumpy Italian who always swore in whispers and didn't like anything that was happening.

"Alfred!" She whisper yelled and pulled his sleeve, making him jump a little in his seat and let out a small yelp - not small enough to stay silent to the others, though.

Now everyone was staring at him, and the teacher too. "Jones, can you repeat the last task?" The glaring professor asked in a low, deep voice which could easily startle anyone in class.

"Uh... I-I'm sorry, I wasn't following..." He apologetically said and straightened himself up in his seat, avoiding eye contact with the teacher.

"For the fifth time today, I see! Extra homework, that's it. Hope you learn something now."

Shit. Like the ten pages we were going to get weren't enough, I have to do extra stuff now.

This is going to be a long day...

- - -

A/N

Well, this is the first chapter of my new fanfic! I think I will very much enjoy writing this, and I know nothing much happens in this one but it's just the beginning, and you know how I like to make my stuff longer than it should be (whoops).

I was planning to write an oneshot today and do this one in a couple of days, but inspiration struck me and bam, we're here now. Yay!

Should I continue this? Answer honestly! I'm okay with both yes and no as answers.

Thank you for reading!