Grasp for Release

Warning: there's an unpleasant, graphic scene that includes blood in this chapter, and if you're not okay with reading such things, please don't. Rather skip this chapter, stop reading, I just want you to be okay. Thank you. <3

- - -

As the two brothers were heading home in quick steps, fear and anxiety started settling itself deep inside of them, especially the older brother, Alfred, who tightly held Matthew by the hand while they ran, and ran to their destination.

Oh, they were so scared of opening that door. Their father was furious, and they regretted even going out in the first place without calculating the risk of the man getting home earlier than eleven.

The boys approached their home, steps slowing down as they got closer to the door. With gritted teeth, Alfred slowly opened it, hoping that he wouldn't get awaited by a painful nightmare coming to reality.
Deep down, he knew that it was exactly what was about to happen, but he didn't dare admit it to himself.

"Where have you two been?" A harsh voice interrupted their frightened silence, and Alfred could feel his heartbeat quickening, and not in a good way, not like when he was walking with Arthur in the rain... It was a terrifying feeling, and he hated it to its core.

"U-uh, we were... With friends." He was the one to speak up first, tightening the hold on his younger brother's hand as he avoided eye contact with his father.

"Let me correct you there. You were outside, without my permission, using the time I'm absent to go hang out with your friends instead of doing something useful." The man glared at the older son, and Matthew was on the verge of breaking down in anger. It was always Alfred, everything was Alfred's fault even when it wasn't - truth be told, it was Matthew's idea to join their squad for tonight. "Did you catch my point... Alfred?"

The said boy stared down at his feet, too scared to say anything, too confused to make a simple move. He blamed it all on himself, even if he shouldn't have.

"Answer me!"

"Y-yes, I caught your point!"

"Then say it!" The father's voice took on a sharp, loud tone, scaring his two sons immediately.

"I... I made a mistake, alright? We shouldn't have gone out, we shouldn't have gone with our friends, but we're sorry, okay? What else do I have to say?" Alfred was shouting questions with a bit of aggression in them, but it was only to be expected. He couldn't hold in the overflowing emotion.

"Don't speak to me in that tone! Ever!"

One slap was followed by another even harsher one, and Alfred couldn't help but let out a squeaky sound of pain, feeling his breath stop for a moment. "I'm sorry!"

"Matthew, go to your room. Your brother and I need to have a little chat."

"I'm not going anywhere, leave Alfred alone! It's not his fault!" The younger crossed his arms in defence, but the momentary shield of anger failed him straight away.

Alfred motioned for him to go, to get out of this mess as soon as possible and not have to deal with their enraged father.

"Go away right now, I don't take no for an answer!"

The smaller boy stood in confusion for a moment, tears filling his eyes to the brim as he took his leave, mouthing a 'sorry' towards Alfred. He ran off to their shared room, slamming the door behind him and throwing a pillow over his head to block out the shouting and noises coming from the hallway.
It was unbearable seeing Alfred in trouble again, especially this time for something he was guilty for, and not the older brother. But, with his physical strength there was nothing he could do, except bring them both into even bigger suffering.