Desperate

Contrary to what Arthur, Matthew and Alfred thought, they were not being taken to the police station like Alfred's father was. In fact, the car was driving in the direction of the hospital. Of course, that did not come as a surprise to any of them considering the American's current physical state of barely staying conscious, heavily breathing and shivering.

He had never felt this desperately bad in his entire life.

It was a quarter until nine in the evening, and the sun was long gone leaving only a cloudy night sky without a single star to be seen. The air was cold and damp, preparing for rain that would soon come. Everybody was at home, and the streets of London which now seemed so dark were empty, left in silence. Only two police cars were driving by, along with just two or three people passing by. It was all too soundless, to that level of discomfort.

Alfred's mind was boiling with questions, most of them about what would happen next.
Matthew and he didn't have any other family members here who would gladly take them in. And they were certainly not coming back to live in the house of all the terrible memories they had experienced in the last four years. Where were they going to live? With whom?
Their father was arrested, which meant that he was finally gone from their lives... But, what kind of story was going to be created about it in school? What would the other students and teachers think of him now? It was all surreal, but too true, and awfully overwhelming.
His entire body was in severe pain, and he was still on the verge of passing out. Luckily, Arthur and Matthew constantly kept him in tact with the world around him as much as they could.

"We're here." The policeman who was driving the car stated once he parked, and soon they were all on their feet except Alfred - he needed extra help to walk and get out of the vehicle. "Come on, let's take him to the emergency room."

Wordlessly, they complied, helping the boy to the big door which resembled the entrance to the hospital's emergency room.

The place wasn't busy whatsoever, and Alfred was able to see the nurse very quickly - a young, blonde lady with a touch of a foreign accent who looked very concerned about his well-being. She gently took him inside, and the others stayed in the waiting room, all with worried expressions plastered on their faces.

The boy sat on a comfortable looking bed in the ordination, shaking slightly less than earlier but still in a terrible state, body full of painful bruises. Knowing he was going to be examined by the nurse made him very jittery, because the last thing he wanted was for somebody to discover his self-inflicted scars that spread all across his left arm.
Right now, all he wanted was to go lock himself up in a bathroom and hurt himself so badly he wouldn't be able to move, the tingly feeling torturing him from somewhere deep within. But he had to sustain.

Without a single word said, the nurse bandaged the bruise on the left side on his face and, not even taking off his hoodie, covered the wounds on his shoulders which just made her heart clench on the inside - Alfred looked like a kind boy who didn't deserve such a thing happen to him.
"There, you're all done." She softly said, fixing his crooked glasses which luckily weren't broken. "You will be fine."

Alfred was silently grateful that he didn't have to pull up his sleeves.

Even though all the injuries were covered, he still didn't exit the ordination, but received a suggestion to rather lie down for a minute so his anxiousness, nausea and dizziness could calm down a little. And that was exactly what he did.

While the American was resting, the nurse whose name was Luna Steilsson, a young Norwegian, warned those waiting in front of the room that Alfred was going to be fine, and that all he needed was a bit of time. Arthur and Matthew were extremely glad to hear that, but they were still all equally scared for the future of the Jones family who was broken, helpless and put in a really bad position.