cнapтer 8

Sybil P.O.V 

I have to assume the worst, 3 months later and still no word from Tom.

If I could I would ask Papa, for his help. Being a Lord does have it privileges. Tom and I would have been together 4 months tomorrow, and I know it may seem silly for me to even think that there was a slight possibility that he would reply. 

Maybe he's moved on?

It would explain everything else I guess, but I thought Tom was different. I thought he cared, the way he spoke was if every word he said, every word of love and affection was his last.

Now it seems as if I have to forget this man, who has changed my life. Who has made me feel as if I'm the only girl in the world who he cares for. 

What should I do?

One more letter and that'll be it, if I don't get a reply from Tom after this letter, I will then know what he has decided. 

Tom P.O.V

Charlie came in running through the tent, with what looked like some letters in his hand his bright blue eyes scanning the cabin as though his life depended on it. I was pretty sure no letters would arrive today, tomorrow or ever. 

Leaving the cabin without a word..

I needed sometime on my own..

Charlie P.O.V

"Where is he?" I asked panting, as though I had been running for miles; when I had only ran around the corner.

Man I was un-fit.

"Who?" Asked our Captain with a mischievous glance on his face, as he played cards with the other lads in our regiment. 

Good ole' captain. Always knew how to win, didn't know how to lose mind.

A week back, one of the new lads who hadn't been here long was listening in on Captain's "Victory" speech. 

"...and that boys, is how we're going to win!"

"But what if we don't?" Asked this quiet little voice out of nowhere.

"Oh no" Whispers were heard throughout the cabin as all 22 piercing green eyes glared directly at this poor soul..

We never saw him again..

"Branson!" 

"Oh..Ummm..probably gone off for a walk again, you know what he's like. Always carrying that photo of that girl around with him, what'd he do steal it?" 

"What?" 

"Don't play dumb Charlie, you know that girl, Branson's mystery lady.. Paying him is she?" 

"You better shut your mouth, before I do it for you Weeke!"

Storming out from the cabin, furiously I picked up speed towards the woods!

"BRAN--" 

There was one of the bravest things a man could do on this land; and that was to show the slightest bit of emotion. 

"Y-you know what Char, I was gonna marry this girl you know, Proper loved her I did. Not any of that stupid and dramatic love you hear about, un-dying love you hear! But it seems as if I'm no good for her, not one single letter have I got from her.. and here I am like an idiot crying to you about how my girl don't love m--"

Charlie handed me the stack of letters from earlier.

"Read these before you make up your mind"

With that Charlie walked away..