Perception

"Elrond hides very well that powerful jewel he wields"

The words hung coldly in the still air, floating with a ghostly air in the complete silence. She felt her heart stop beating in her chest, her body freezing in place like a statue of cold stone as the King's piercing blue eyes stared directly at hers. They were so deep, so powerful, penetrating hers like iced daggers, and suddenly she had the feeling that he knew everything.

She opened her mouth to say something but no sound came out. It felt as if her voice had completely abandoned her. She did not know what had made the Elvenking suddenly tell her this kind of information, but was not planning on ruining the moment.

"You thought I did not know about the ring?" She could not tell if it was a question or a statement, but she neither denied nor confirmed it. Instead she forced her eyes to remain locked in place, fixed on his powerful ice blue ones.

The King lowered his eyes with a sigh, slowly rising from the bed and walking towards one of the tall windows obscured by the closed ivory curtains. She followed him with her eyes, waiting in silence for long minutes. She considered walking to him, but her legs felt weak to her, and she knew they would not carry her for long.

"I cannot think anything if I do not know anything to base my thoughts on, My Lord." Her voice was low, but loud enough for him to hear. The Elvenking did not turn to face her this time, and she regretted her words for a moment, wondering if her diplomatic answer had somehow hurt him because of its formality.

"You choose your words carefully." Was the answer she received, the words holding an odd mixture of pride and sorrow.

The King of Mirkwood turned around to face her, slowly returning to sit by her side on the bed. Something in his face looked different now, softer, the strong power in his eyes replaced by a melancholic sorrow and kind tenderness as he stared into hers, making her entirely regret her cold words. He smiled softy at her, but the smile never reached his eyes, one slender hand brushing her cheek gently before falling to his lap.

"I never wanted you to carry this burden"

His voice had dropped to a whisper, so honest and transparent, the powerful authoritative tone of a King now entirely forgotten. She did not say anything, not trusting her voice, and he continued speaking.

"You are powerful, Almarëa. More than I wish you were...more than I thought you to be."

He paused for a moment, seeming to hesitate where to continue, transparent eyes swallowing hers into their infinities.

"You scared me today. I ignored how deeply the ring of air has penetrated into you. I ignored the level of sensitivity to such forces your spirit possesses. They reach you, or you reach them, so...easily. It is an unimaginable power...but it can be an unimaginable weakness as well."

She felt her body freeze again, every word seeming to dance inside her head, downing into her as a heavy weight, eyes fixed on his now entirely open ice blue ones. She wanted to know what he was telling her more than anything, but now felt scared to hear it.

"I did not know how deep into your mind or spirit had the attacker penetrated. I could not tell if I would be able to call you back, to break the connection, or if it was already too imbedded into you for it to leave permanent damage. I...I really thought I would loose you for a moment. I feared you would be too far dragged into darkness to be able to come back."

His voice was barely audible as he spoke, and she could see the fear in his eyes, the pain and worry as the seriousness of his words sank into her head.