Sparkling Colors

It was already dark outside as she quietly sat in front of her tall mirror, Lhenes hands expertly braiding her long golden hair. She wore a long formal dress in the palest of roses, the finest one she had ever worn on her entire life. It was so beautiful, and yet so different from the dresses she had seen in Imladris. The entire neckline was covered by thin strings of silver that laced with one another, falling over her bare shoulders and lacing around the entire length of her bare arms.

She watched in silence as the kind maid tied the last tiny braid behind the back of her head before moving around to get something else from the vanity. She felt her heart skip a beat, and her nerves build up as Lhenes returned with a breathtaking silver diadem, carefully placing atop her head. The elven maid then patiently moved to intertwine the delicate silver strings that hung from the diadem with her golden hair, placing numerous tiny hairpieces, from which hung pearls and rose quartz adorned by tiny golden leaves, around her braids.

"You are ready, Your Highness." Lhenes said softly as she stepped aside, hands clasped in front of her. Never before had a phrase sounded more ironic to her. True, her hair and dress were ready; but she was not ready.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Only a few months ago, she would have never imagined she would be sitting here, looking like royalty, waiting to attend the winter's solstice feast as the Princess of an elven realm. Every single aspect of her reflection looked flawless, and she could hardly recognize in her the plainly dressed Elerrina that lived with her adoptive mother in a village of men. No. Her reflection was that of Almarëa, daughter of the King of Mirkwood.

She heard the door of her chambers softly being pushed open, and she turned her head just in time to see an elegantly dressed Legolas walking into the room. Never before had she seen him looking so royal, his rich formal robes in the exact same clear blue color as infinite eyes. A fine silver circlet rested atop his light blond head, crowning him as the Prince she knew he was.

"Your Highness." She heard Lhenes say with a respectful bow of her head, and her brother nodded his head politely in reply.

A smile appeared on his handsome face as his infinite blue eyes met hers, his feet already walking in her direction. She could not help but smile in return, her eyes meeting his through the mirror as he came to stand directly behind her, hands lightly falling on her shoulders.

"It seems like Lossenel will not be only one getting all the stares tonight." Her brother said before lowering his face closer to hers and whispering in a low voice next to her ear "Elladan is going to drool all over himself. I will enjoy seeing that."

A light laugh escaped her lips at his words, her heart already bouncing at the simple mention of Elladan's name. She accepted Legolas' offered hand as he pulled her up to her feet, her dress dancing weightlessly around her legs in cascades of pale rose and silver, the thin silver strings that laced over the bottom of it sparkling faintly as they caught the light.

"Would you allow me to escort you into the Halls tonight?" He smiled brightly as he offered his arm for her to take, making her laugh again. "The twins will already be there, so it is either me or Tadion."

"I assume then that Arahaelon is escorting Lossenel?" She laughed as she took his offered arm, allowing him to lead her out of the room and through the long corridor outside.

"He usually does."

She tried to hide her nerves as her brother guided her through the long corridors leading to the Family Room in the private area of the Palace. This was one of the many rooms inside the Palace in which she had never been, and she could barely hide her curiosity from showing in her eyes as they walked into the room.