Of Past And Future

She did not know how long it took her to finally be able to let go of her father's rich robes. Was it seconds? Minutes? Hours? She could not tell; and she did not care. Her entire body continued to shake with slight sobs, the tears still flowing from her eyes, but at a slower pace, as she finally pulled away from the King's comforting embrace.

The King softly lifted his hand, his thumb gently wiping away the tears that slowed down her cheeks. She could feel her smile still present on her lips, where she knew it would stay for a long while, even with tears in her eyes. She could not contain her tears; it felt as if her entire body could not contain this amount of joy within itself.

Her eyes remained fixed on her father's face, unable to look away from his infinite ice blue eyes, so powerful and yet now looking so soft and welcoming. His own handsome face showed the thin traces of dried tears along his cheeks, ice blue eyes still shimmering slightly as he smiled in return.

In the distance she could still hear the music softly playing inside the large Halls, where the feast continued animatedly, oblivious to the whereabouts of their King. She let her head turn in that direction, a faint chuckle escaping her mind as she remembered the ongoing celebration. Her siblings were still there, probably chatting or dancing once again.

Elladan was also inside said halls, most probably with Elrohir, although she could tell that he knew what had happened between her and her father, she knew he could feel her emotions through their bond. She knew he could feel her immense joy and pain, the emotions too overwhelming for him not to be able to perceive them, and although she could tell he was desperate to offer her his comfort, she knew that he would patiently wait for as much time as she needed with her father.

"Do you want to return to the celebration?" Her head turned back around at the King's soft voice, her eyes immediately finding his, once again unable to contain her smile.

She shook her head as a response, not really capable of formulating any words in her shaking state, hiccupped sobs still escaping her lips every once in a while. She saw the King chuckle lightly at her, eyes never leaving her face, his thumb once again wiping away the new tears that had rolled down her cheeks.

"Come, I have something else I wanted to give you" The King smiled at her as he softly started to lead her away from the magnificent terraces and into the elegant long corridors of the Palace. "It was my intention to way until the celebration was over, but I do not think I will be returning to the Halls either. It will also be good for Tadion to be in charge for a change, since Arahaelon is not there to take over the hosting duties."

She could not contain a light laugh as she followed the King up an ample staircase. The entire Palace seemed to be empty, every elf in Mirkwood appeared to have attended the solstice celebration. The frail columns of the exquisite pointed arches seemed taller than ever, the corridors longer, the halls larger, and the balconies wider, and yet, even though they remained as strange and magnificent to her eyes, the Palace somehow felt less cold and imposing. Suddenly, these gorgeous columns that seemed to branch into thin, delicate arches felt welcoming to her, their beauty now no longer something to merely be admired. This was her father's Palace, it was her father's home; her home.

"Has Tadion ever hosted before?" She asked as they stepped into the quiet Private Quarters of the Palace. The turned his head to smile at her before answering, one of his hands placed lightly on her back as he guided the way.

"A couple of times, yes. He is very capable of doing so, although he always chooses to stand behind Arahaelon. He will do anything that Arahaelon asks of him."

"Is Arahaelon all right? I saw him leaving the Halls, and Legolas told me what happened this morning. " She asked as her father opened the fine wooden door that led to his own private chambers, letting her walk inside first before following.