Trembling Hands

The gentle breeze of the night toyed hollowly with her golden strands of hair, the forest now completely still and silent. She could still feel the heavy power floating in the air, like a ghostly fog that seemed to stretch into the night. It would be dawn soon. Her eyes remained closed, her cheek pressed against the fine silk of Elladan's tunic, feeling the warmth of his skin underneath it. She felt numb, her body gone limp in his arms as she took long deep breaths, drowning in the comforting melody of his beating heart.

She was lying next to him on the long chaise, both of his arms wrapped around her small frame, making her feel safe even when she felt so numb and detached from reality. No more tears ran down her cheeks, her body had seemed to shut down after every single drop of emotion it held was washed away in the crystals drops that slid down her chin. It was as if her own body had decided it did not want to feel any more pain, any more fear, any more anxiety, and the only way to achieve that was by not feeling anything at all.

Elladan's warm breath caressed the tip of her ear at the steady rise and fall of his chest, tracing a pattern for her own breathing. His hand rested over hers, fingers loosely lacing with hers while his thumb absently traced patterns on her skin. Her broken hand remained close to her chest, and she did not dare move it, trying hard to ignore the dull pounding pain at her wrist.

She opened her eyes to gaze around her, taking in the peaceful yet hollow aura that filled the balcony. Tadion and Elrohir remained sitting on the floor, conversing lowly in elvish. Her brother's eyes met hers for a moment, and he offered her a sad smile, clear blue eyes staring deeply into hers, concerned and at the same time apologetic. She tried to smile in return, if only to reassure him, but if she managed to smile she was sure the gesture must have looked pathetic.

Legolas remained lying casually next to Arahaelon on the other long chaise placed at the balcony, joining in the conversation every once in a while, none of them sounding very animated or chatty at the moment. The Crown Prince seemed to have fallen asleep. He was lying completely still next to his youngest brother, one arm loosely wrapped over his middle, eyes closed in his sleep. He looked exhausted.

She could still distantly hear the commotion in the hallway, the echo of rushing footsteps signaling guards moving to and from her bedchamber. The entire Palace was being searched at the moment. But how would they find the elf that had attacked her? No one knew how he looked like. No one had seen his face. There were thousands of blond elves in Mirkwood. It could have been anyone. And then, there was the point Arahaelon had touched on only moments ago: Why had the attacker not killed her? He had had the perfect chance to do so. And yet, here she was.

Her eyes travelled to the Crown Prince once more. A cold shudder traveled down her spine at the sole thought of what could have happened had Arahaelon not rushed into her room. He had been so quick, knowing exactly what to do, swiftly untangling her from the asphyxiating sheets and carrying her out of the room as the commotion began. She knew her words would never be able to express how thankful she was. And yet, part of her could not help but feel slightly guilty as she looked at his sleeping form. He looked so drained, so worn out and weary. She was still not sure how she felt about him. She had never really spoken to him and did not know him as a brother yet, but of one thing she was sure: he had her respect.

Her attention was driven away from her thoughts as she heard footsteps coming through the door. She turned her head in that direction, her siblings and Elrohir doing the same, only to find Lossenel's stunning figure walking gracefully in their direction. The Princess wore a calmed expression, although her usually sparkling ice green-blue eyes were now dulled. Her fine platinum hair fell loosely just below her waist, somehow looking so different now, freed of all the braids and jewels it usually carried.