Play - vobi

As a theatre kid, there are two different paths you can take. You can be out on stage, or behind the scenes. It's pretty rare to find someone that does both. You've got friends in the other group, but it's pretty much family in the group you joined, knowing each other's routines, preferred tasks and pet peeves.

So when the door to the tech room bangs open, and Vik flies in, gesticulating wildly, it's almost like he belongs out there with the actors, he's being that flamboyant, Josh thinks.

"You are not going to fucking believe this."

"What's up?" Cal's slightly irritated voice floats over from his corner, where he's previously been asleep, his dark hair sticking up in all directions.

"So, you know Hamlet is our next production right? Fuck knows how they got the rights to Hamlet, but anyway. They've only gone and given me a role."

There's a moment of silence, before most of the room erupts into spasms of laughter.

"You're joking right, Vik?" Josh inquires, attempting to keep his voice level throughout the giggles he wants to release.

"Do I look like I'm fucking joking? Dickheads."

"I don't remember you saying you were going to audition though."

"See that's the thing. I didn't, I get a message in form saying I have to go see Mr Joseph, right, and turns out he's decided that since not enough people auditioned, he wants someone that gets the ropes of theatre. He wanted a techie on stage - which is such a shit idea, how doesn't he get that - and I was the victim. You lot better be happy he didn't choose you."

"Who're you even gonna be?"

"Guildenstern, so it's not actually as bad as it could be. I get to stand on stage, say a few lines then piss about until I die, with Rosencrantz, in England. So I'm stuck with whoever's playing Rosencrantz for the entire thing, so they better not be an annoying preppy type."

"Well, remember I'll be getting all the rest of the casting information before you guys are meant to, so I can work on scenes, plan lighting and all that, you know the deal. I'll let you know when I find out, should be in the next few days." Josh reassures him. It was obvious it'd never be Josh who was picked out of the techies to perform, seeing as he was Stage Manager, and had been pretty much as long as he'd been in the school. He ran it like clockwork, and without him, the school play would be in complete shambles. Taking him out of that leadership role would leave him and everyone else at a loss, seeing as he came alive during tech week and in performances, in a way not seen the rest of the time. Everyone, even the snobbiest of the acting kids, held a level of respect for Josh, one that Vik felt was rightfully deserved.

"Thanks, man. I appreciate it. I'm just pissed off about it."

"I don't blame you, being cast without an audition or choice is basically unheard of," Lewis shouts down, from his place up with the lights, where he's currently trying to fix a busted pink one, "it's a bit of a dick move as well."

"Legit. We'll try not to laugh at you, man." Cal calls out from his corner, earning a middle finger in his direction from the shorter boy, which causes the room a bit of humour.

"Anyway, Vik, to get your mind off that, help me have a think about set design? So I can get down to the art and tech classrooms and give the teachers the rundown on what kind of thing they've got to make." Vik has never been happier to hear Josh's voice.

~~~~

On Monday morning, Vik has biology, then chemistry, then form, and then he gets to go to the techie room. It's only just gone 11, and he's already tired of this day, and he hopes Josh doesn't make it any worse, if he's been given the cast list.