Dance With Somebody - minizerk

"For the last time, no, JJ."

"Come on, man, it'll be fun."

"It just won't though. An 80s night at a gay club? You know it'll just be straight girls who're there so guys won't hit on them, and get offended when a girl comes on to them, and when a guy they like doesn't. It's always the same, and JJ, I know you. You'll latch on to a group of girls and leave me by myself in a corner."

"Simon, I promise I won't."

"Fuck off."

"Odds on you going with me."

"37."

"What the fuck? That's so high. I haven't got much of a chance there."

"That's the point, dipshit."

"You're a dick. Anyway, 3... 2... 1..."

"21."

"21." JJ lets out a loud squark, "you're coming with me now, can't believe I pulled that one off."

"..."

"Ah, Simon, you could find the man of your dreams there. See you Saturday." Simon opens his mouth to retort, when he hears the flatlining dial tone. JJ's hung up on him, the fucker.

"Son of a bitch."

~~~~

"Oi, Josh." Ethan's voice rings out against the relative silence of their flat. They're sat in the dark half-watching TV, both scrolling through their phones, slouched across either end of their sofa.

"Yeah?"

"I'm proper bored of sitting in all the time. We're going out on Saturday. I've just found this new place online. It's got decent reviews."

"You look at reviews for clubs?"

"You don't?"

"Fair point."

"You down to come though?"

"Fuck it, why not. 'S been a while since I went out."

"That's the spirit, mate."

~~~~

"Didn't say it'd be a gay club."

"I didn't know, did I?"

"Did none of the reviews say? No pictures or anything?" Ethan's lack of response gives Josh the answer he already knew. Lewis laughs next to them. "Christ, Ethan. It's literally rainbow decorated on the outside. And it's 80s night."

"That's alright, you're an old man anyway, so you'll be in your element."

"Piss off. Let's go inside."

~~~~

When they first got there, Simon felt like he'd predicted the future, in that fatal conversation with JJ. First off, Duran Duran's 'Hungry Like The Wolf' was playing, gaggles of girls forming their circles, hands interlocked, singing along loudly, but as the evening wore on, or as he consumes more alcohol at JJ's request, and in attempt to make the evening more bearable, he falls into an easier state of mind, and it's been a while since he's done anything with a guy, so why not, seeing as JJ's found himself a girl to cosy up with on the dance floor, some other fast-paced synthetic sounds over a Simmons' drum set being produced from the speakers.

He makes his way into the throng of people, when the song fades out and another pops into colour. If songs had colours, this one would definitely be a glittered, shiny purple, Simon decides. He smiles to himself, there's nothing like thinking too much while you're a bit tipsy. There's also nothing like a good song when you're tipsy, and Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' is nothing if not a good song.

It's pretty true as well, Simon thinks, as he and a guy on the other side of the crowd make eye contact, and Simon beckons him forth. The guy's eyes widen, and he points at himself. He seems like a bit of a dork, but it's cute, so he nods. The guy grins and makes his way over.

~~~~

Josh makes his way over to the tall blond guy, squeezing through gaps between excitable people, their arms waving about spasmodically in the blue and red hues of the flashing lights.

When he gets there, he smiles up at him. "Hey, I'm Josh."

"Simon."

"Why'd you call me over?"

"I want to dance with somebody." He jokes, in time with Whitney's passionate voice.

"Well, I can't say it's with somebody who loves you, seeing as we've just met, but we can see how the night goes." Josh winks, and Simon flushes slightly. They're both a bit drunk, so his forwardness feels excusable, but both laugh, and fall into a synchronised rhythm. Somehow, it's natural for both of them, and they enjoy the song in each other's company.

They get mid-way through 'Come On Eileen', getting involved in the Can-Can style dancing in a round circle that comes with the 'too ra loo ra too ra loo rye aye's and it's probably one of the best nights Josh has had in a long time, that is until he feels a tap on his shoulder, and has to excuse himself, ducking out from his place underneath Simon's arm, who smiles at him, before continuing to dance, after a whispered "see you in a minute."

He turns to Lewis, who looks at him, an eyebrow raised. Josh lifts one in return.

"Well?"

"Oh yeah, sorry. I need a bit of help with Ethan. He's pretty much projectile vomited in the toilets and I can't get him up by myself."

"Ah, okay. I'll help you get him out of there."

So the two advance towards the bathroom, one of them casting a last wistful look back at the dance floor, where cheering has emerged from yet again upon the ending of the song, and they help their friend up, arms slung over Josh and Lewis' shoulders.

When they reappear, Simon is nowhere to be seen, much to Josh's dismay. Lewis decides they need to get Ethan home, so they leave, with a slightly dejected Josh in tow, slumped with his head against the window in the taxi, while Ethan lies passed out against his shoulders.

Lewis rolls his eyes, both his friends are hopeless.

~~~~

Simon had intended to wait for Josh to come back, so they could continue dancing, honestly. He also was planning on giving Josh his number at the end of the night, or maybe going home with him, but he felt like whatever he and Josh had going was a bit different to just a hookup.

But JJ just had to ruin that.

The girl he'd been getting close to had assumed he was just a clingy gay bloke, as Simon had expected, and had taken offence when he'd tried to take things a step further. She was after a gay best friend, he certainly wasn't.

They had to get out of there, sharpish.

He's a bit pissed off, to be honest. It's not the first time JJ's cockblocked him, by far, but he felt like he and Josh could have developed into something more.

In their taxi back, Simon's impatiently tapping his fingers against the door-handle of the car, desperate to get out.

~~~

They both had a great time, and their opinions on gay clubs had (for the most part) been proved wrong.

But it just had to be an 80s night, and as was often the case, you don't always get their number at the end of the night. It's just the way things go.

~~~~
Author's Note

Welcome to the Gayties lmao (I'm sorry that was such a bad pun)

Well, I cranked this one out in 10 minutes. I'm sorry if it's bad, but a friend and I have made a playlist of classic songs and he put 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' on it, and I put 'Come On Eileen' on, so this happened.

I'm trying out writing shorter stories, because I tend to write several thousands of words, and this is the shortest so far, just over 1000 words! Let me know if it works for me, or if I need to be writing longer things lmao.

If you've got any requests for me, please let me know.

As always, thanks so much for the support you give me.

💙😊💙