Chapter 4 : The Surprise

Chapter 4

We stepped into an office, the whole room decorated in warm, rich hues of brown and beige. A fire crackled in the large fireplace at the end of the room, the warmth filling the room. A large mahogany desk took up most of the space, the wall behind it occupied by a floor to ceiling bookshelf. Beautiful, classic paintings hung on most of the empty space on the walls.

Andreas took a seat on one of the beige chairs' in front of the desk, the man in the armchair behind it watching me silently. He was an older version of Andreas, still very handsome despite having at least thirty year on his son, his dark hair greying at his temples. The grey suit that he wore looked like everything else in this place; expensive, not to mention perfectly tailored to him.

He gave Andreas a genuine smile that only a father wore when facing their child. The sight made me miss my own. The two men in front of me began to converse in what I guessed was Russian, the younger of the two occasionally gesturing to me. When they were finished, the older man let out a low chuckle, giving me an approving look.

"My son tells me that you managed to escape him once." He said; his accent much more pronounced than his sons'. "Please sit." His tone was insistent though his words were that of a request. I did as I was told, knowing that I didn't want to mess with this man. Beneath all the kindness he was showing me now, I could feel something cold and manipulative lurking within. I'd expect nothing less of a mob boss.

I nodded, deciding that as such, bold was the way to go. "It wasn't that difficult."

He seemed to like my response. "Fearless, I appreciate that quality." He studied me like I was a piece of art he was appraising. "Well Nicole, for a while now I've actually thought that it was quite difficult to get away from my son, especially when he has a gun at your head. This has been proven to me time and time again, until he met you. That's why I've asked you back here, I have to admit that I was quite curious about you."

I relaxed in my seat, keeping eye contact as I spoke. "I will take that as a compliment, Sir."

He chuckled. "Please, Ivan will suffice." His tone was friendly, though not fooling me of his 'kind' nature for even a second.

"Alright Ivan, now that you've met me, may I know what will happen to me next?" I asked, my voice clipped.

A devilish smile appeared on his face, his eyes roaming over both Andreas and I. "Ah... that is what I wish to discuss with you both." He said something in Russian, something that must of had a meaning along the lines of 'get out' as all of the guards in the room, including Damien and Callum, left, leaving only the three of us in the chambers. "Andreas, when I heard about her," he gestured to me, "I knew she was something special. The kind of woman we'd appreciate in this family."

My eyes widened as my heart skipped a beat in my chest. No way. I opened my mouth to rebuff, but Andreas beat me to it. "Father, you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting." His tone filled with indignation, a muscle ticking in his jaw. "Haven't you and mother attempted this plenty?"

His fathers' earlier demeanor melted to one I assumed he wore more often; cold and menacing. "You continue to associate yourself with trashy, useless women then decide to act shocked that we see fit to choose an appropriate life partner for you? What would you do in our place? We wish to see you settled, as all parents wish for their children." Clearly this was a topic they had discussed often, the frustration evident in his expression.

"You don't even know her. How can you trust her so easily?" His son retorted.

The ire in his father's expression subtly but surely built. "As always, a full background check has confirmed that she is someone I would not mind having as my daughter in law. Do you see me as a stupid man?!" He growled, his raised voice booming across the room.