Chapter 9: An Explanation

I woke up on the morning of my interview feeling better than I had for the past couple of days. After the rude awakening, so to speak, at Andreas' I hadn't fared very well, mentally punishing myself for being stupid enough to buy into his bullshit.

I checked my phone as I sat up, finding it yet again filled with missed calls and messages from Andreas, probably full of all kinds of lies to get me back on his hook. Well I'm not biting. My reflection was rough, my eyes slightly puffy from my bouts of hurt, frustrated and at times angry tears. The restless nights had also begun to develop some dark circles under my eyes.

I met my gaze in the mirror. "Now you listen here Nicole. You existed fine before this man, and you will not give up everything you've ever wanted because of this petty shit. You are better than this." Resolved, I began piecing myself together outwardly as I got ready for the day.

***

I was surprised to find the dark sedan awaiting me as I exited my building, though this was probably another one of Andreas' schemes to get himself back in my good graces. I greeted the chauffer as he helped me into the back of the vehicle.

As we pulled away from the curb, I noticed the box on the seat beside me. The handwritten note placed on top had my name on it. My agitation couldn't outweigh my curiousity as I picked it up. The note read:

Dear Nicole,

I understand that you'd be upset about what happened the other day, but please allow me to explain. This situation isn't what you think it is. This gift is in no way me trying to buy your forgiveness, I know better than to ever try that with you. I just thought of you the moment I laid eyes on it, and I couldn't stop myself from purchasing it that instant. I hope you like it, and can find it in your heart to hear me out.
-Andreas

I pulled the lid of the box up to reveal a gorgeous diamond choker and matching teardrop earrings. I had no doubt that every stone resting against the deep blue satin was genuine. As beautiful as they were, the risk of falling for his lies once again, buried any thoughts I had of accepting this 'gift'.

I shut the box, placing both it and the note back where I'd found it as I did my best to focus my thoughts on my interview and nothing more. I will not let Andreas screw this up for me.

***

I adjusted my sleeves as I sat in a small, glass meeting room at the end of Femme's large, industrial-concept, office space. Just outside, immaculate employees flitted about, planning shoots and crafting layouts, working almost seamlessly.

An elegant woman walked over to the room I was in, her gray hair slicked back to accompany her bold eyeshadow and deep, plum lipstick. She was clad in a textured, black pantsuit and a pair of chrome, silver Louboutins. I stood as she entered, returning her smile as she reached out to shake my hand.

"Hello Nicolette. I'm Camilla, the Editor in Chief for Femme here in New York."

She took a seat in a chair across the table from me. "Hello Camilla, its truly an honour to meet you. I've looked up to you ever since before I went to college, and to be sitting here, is surreal to me."

Camilla graciously accepted the compliment, looking down to study the resume I had submitted earlier. "Well this was no coincidence my dear. After seeing your work, I knew I just had to interview you myself. Truth be told, I was excited by you, and that doesn't happen very often."

I couldn't contain how ecstatic I was with receiving such gratification from her. "Thank you so much, that means the world to me."

"So please, tell me more about yourself. What are your interests outside of writing?"