Chapter 6: Interferrance

After his proclamation, a woman came in to inform us that we would be flying back that very morning, and to be ready within the hour. Though Andreas' hadn't been too happy with the interruption, I took the chance to slip into the bathroom, effectively buying at least fifteen minutes to myself, if I showered slowly.

As the warm water washed over my shoulders I sighed, thinking over the events of this morning. I wasn't stupid, after what he pulled earlier, I could actually come to like Andreas, despite the obvious red flags. I mean, I'm not exactly in a place to pass judgement. I shook my head, refusing to justify my blatant interest. Keep your wits about you Nicole. You can't even consider liking him. I groaned, knowing that it was way too late to deny interest. I have to curb this then. As I washed the suds from my skin, I was resolved in what I had to do.

***

I'd managed to avoid talking to him for most of the time while we were rushing to get ready for the flight back to New York, and subsequent car ride over to the tarmac. Upon arriving at the plane, I instinctively took the hand he held out to me and mentally cursed myself out. As soon as I got out of the car, I pulled away, briskly walking on board. I returned Cindy's smile at the door before making my way to the back of the plane, strapping myself in as I watched the sky out the window.

I could see Andreas watching me from the corner of my eye, doing my best to display an air of nonchalance as I forced myself to keep my gaze averted. Within a few minutes, the plane took off. Once it was safe to move about the cabin, I relocated to the bedroom, drawing all the windows close before I slipped under the covers, the reality of the past couple of days crashing into me at once.

***

The sound of the door being shut woke me, though I kept my breathing even as whoever it was seated themselves on the bed beside me. I cracked my eyes open, recognising Andreas' arm from the sight of his tattoos under the sleeve of his off-white sweater. I felt him grasp my chin lightly, tipping my head back as he leaned in closer. I fought to keep my breaths steady as I tried to figure out how I should 'wake up'. When our lips were a fraction of an inch away, he pressed his cheek to mine. "I know you're awake." I could hear the hint of a smile in his voice.

I slowly opened my eyes, blinking as though I was just regaining consciousness. "Hmm? What was that?"

He studied my expression. "It's fine, nothing important." I nodded, closing my eyes once more as I turned to go back to 'sleep', facing away from him. He grasped my shoulder, pushing my onto my back. "Nicole."

I met his gaze. "Yes, Andreas."

He seemed displeased by that, though he hid it well. "You've barely said a word to me since our conversation this morning."

I frowned, doing my best to look genuinely confused. "Were we meant to be discussing something today?"

He shook his head. "You know what I mean. You've never once been so quiet these past couple of days." He sighed. "I guess what I'm asking is if anything is wrong."

"Aside from the obvious?"

His frown deepened. "Where is this coming from? Just last night-"

I cut him off with a severe look of my own, sitting up. "Woah, woah, woah. You don't get to react that way. Why is this a surprise to you? Do people often react well to being kidnapped in your experience?"

"Excuse my confusion, but not once have you brought this up in the past couple of days while you were being flown private and dining at five-star restaurants." His tone struck a chord with my defensive nature.

I couldn't stand sitting so close to him just then, for fear that I would physically lash out at him. I shoved the covers off of me, jumping to my feet as I crossed my arms. "You really want to throw that in my face like I had any other choice?" He opened his mouth to respond but I cut him off, getting more and more agitated as I laid my cards out before us. "Maybe if the roles were reversed, you would be able to process all of the shit I've been through in the span of just two days, mind you, at once, but I, a mere human being can only handle one gut punch situation at a time. So I apologise that the topic of my kidnapping has just now come to my mind and pisses me the hell off. I needed all of two days ago to try and figure out my fate as I was being flown to an unknown location with no information whatsoever and yesterday to deal with being forcibly engaged. Sound fair to you?" I struggled to remain calm. "So excuse me if I've offended you Andreas, by not appreciating the privilage of being dolled up and paraded around like a glorified trophy at the risk of my life."