Chapter 15 | A mentally ill child

C H A P T E R 1 5
| A M E N T A L L Y I L L C H I L D |
L A N A

I opened the front door to be met by Rose. She had a permanent scowl etched on her face.

"It's lovely to see you too" I smiled at her warmly.

"No one appreciates your sarcasm" she grabbed my arm and shoved me towards the dining room.

She opened the door and shoved me in before slamming the door.

I remembered that every dinner we have together is always in the dining room.

My mother was seated at the end of the table with my father next to her.

My mom immediately looked up at the sound and stared at me coldly. "Your late, and what are you wearing?" She wore a horrified expression.

"Its great to see you too mom and dad" I smiled genuinely.

My father nodded in reply and smiled reassuringly.

"I am not fooled by your innocent act Lana. I demand to know where you were and why you're late"

I dropped my act and stared at her coldly. "Let me see mom, I was at the gym. And I was late because I lost track of time" I started walking around the table to the other set of doors leading to my room.

She wrinkled her nose in disgust at the word gym. "Where are you going young lady? I'm not done with you" she warned me.

"What is there to talk about mom? I don't reckon it's fair how I have to sit here alone every night. But when your home you accuse me for being late" my ice cold tone sliced through the air.

Mom sighed. "I'll let this one go, go and get changed, you stink. Then you can join us" she ate normally like what I said meant nothing to her.

"No" I crossed my arm over my chest.

My father cleared his throat to cover his amusement whilst my mom looked up appalled.

"Excuse me? I said go and change" she dared me.

I dropped my bag on the ground and walked around the table to my seat. "And I said no" I smiled before sitting down.

"You stink" she said disgusted whilst taking small servings from her plate.

I smiled in amusement. "Why thank you"

"Jarrod" mom called to dad.

"Yes?"

"We have a mentally ill child" she glanced at me.

I smiled even more at this. "I didn't know I had a sister. Can I meet her soon?"

My mother rolled her eyes.

A silence settled over the table.

"So mom, can you please move all of the maids and cooks to another house?"

She frowned. "Why would we need to do that?"

I scowled. "Because we don't need them"

"See Jarrod, not even a thank you for even bothering" she ignored me.

"If she doesn't need them then the maids and cooks are all gone" he replied glancing a look at me.

I hid the victory smile I was showcasing inside of me.

"While we're on the topic of maids can I ask you why you fired my maid?" I asked.

"I've fired many maids before, your going to have to be more specific" she stated.