Chapter 34 | Suck up

C H A P T E R  3 4
| S U C K  U P |
L A N A

I opened the door to my house and was met by a servant.

"Can I take your coat?" She asked with a polite smile.

With a frown etched on my face I handed her my coat and she took it gracefully and walked away.

Mom walked over to me noticing I've arrived. "Lana, surprised you made it on time"

She was wearing a blue pencil skirt and a white blouse finishing it off with a blue coat. Her hair was nearly placed in a bun.

"What's all these people doing here?" I asked.

She looked around casually before looking back at me. "What people?"

I gestured towards the maids and servants walking past us. It's the most servants I've seen in my life. "The humans walking around your house" I faked concern "mother do you need to get your eyes checked?"

She gave me an unamused expression. "This is our biggest day of the year.  We need to look rich" the words rolled off her tongue casually.

"You hire servants so we look rich? This house explains how rich we are" I stated.

She began walking to a table nearby and fixed the objects. "We need to overpower each one of our relatives. This being the most important event of the year our household has always held it here. If we want to continue doing this we need to show" she paused searching for the right words "how classy and elegant we are"

I rolled my eyes and started making my way up the stairs. "So it's a game now. And I thought I was paranoid" i mumbled under my breath.

"Your outfits on the bed" mom yelled.

I almost knocked over a maid who held about 20 plates in her hand. That could've been a catastrophe.

"I can pick out my own outfits" I yelled back.

"No" She instantly yelled back. "Remeber your grandmother's coming over"

I couldn't help but smirk. Everyone's scared of mom. And mom's only scared of one person. Her own mother.

Crazy right? My grandmother is very strict. She needs everything to be perfect. That's why mom's the favourite child. On the other hand mom's sister is crazy and she doesn't care about what her mother thinks. That's probably why I love her so much. And all my mother wants is to approve her mother. Auntie just likes to piss off her mother.

I walked into my room and locked it behind me. You never know if someone might come into your room mistaking it for another room. With a bunch of strangers in my house I can't take that risk.

I showered and shaved before drying my hair. I put it onto a fishtail and decided to go with no make up. It's my relatives anyway. If they think I'm unpleasant they can't leave my life. It's the truth.

I wrapped a towel tightly around me and stood in front of my bed where an outfit laid. It was a casual black dress with lace patterns on the back. Below my bed laid black heels. Simple yet elegant. And for once I'm actually happy with my mother's choice. It's not like the ridiculous outfit she made me wear the last few years. Might I add just to impress her mother.

I checked the time at it was almost time so I decided to head downstairs. The dining room was filled with empty plates the cutlery next to them and detailed place mats. The middle of the table held candles that smelt like lavender. My grandmother's favorite sent. I roll my eyes at how much of a suck up my mother is.

The doorbell suddenly rang and my mother spun past me grabbing my hand along with it. My grandmother always told us to never leave a guest waiting.

"Where's dad?" I asked noticing his absence.

"On a business trip" she answered before opening the door. When she saw the person at the door she let out a breath of air. "Oh it's just you"

I peered around the door to see aunty Rachel.

"Oh its lovely to see you too" the gave mom a pointed look.

"Rachel!" I yelled before crashing into her with a hug.

She wrapped het arms around me. "It's lovely to see you too"

She pulled away but stood at arms length. "You doing well?"

I thought for a moment. "What would doing well come under?" I asked.

"Enjoying life to the fullest. Doing what teenagers do" she answered.

I shot mom a look and she raised a brow almost daring me tell her. I turned back to Rachel and her brows were furrowed meaning she knew something was wrong.

Rachel always only wanted me to be happy. She didn't care if I failed at things as long as I was enjoying what I'm doing. She's always had fights with mom. Because mom would always say how bad I am and Rachel would defend me. Mom's always wanted the perfect child. The one whom is responsible. Who achieves great things. But she didn't get that. And she often looks down at me.

"Yeah" I said forcefully and unconvincongly. Rachel gave me a look telling me we'll talk about it later.

"Where's Calvin?" I asked looking around. It's hard to miss him.

"I'm here" Calvin yelled running up to me before panting.

"How many times do I have to tell you to put an esculator from the driveway to here?" He asked raising a brow at me.

You can never seem to be serious with Calvin. Yes he's gay and proud of it.

I squeezed him into a hug. "Its amazing to see you too cous"

He hugged me for longer not willing to let go.

"That's not the proper way to great someone" a voice said from behind us.

We both pulled away at the voice and glanced at the person.

I didn't even had to turn to know who it was.

From the corner of my eye I saw Rachel roll her eyes.

It was no other than grandma herself.

(A/N)
Sorry about late chapters. Exams have started so it's been very busy. How's the story gone so far? Any requests?

Updating soon.
Remember to comment and vote.
~ Ashley