Chapter 31 | Devil herself

C H A P T E R  3 1
| D E V I L  H E R S E L F|
L A N A

Today is the last day of school. And that is why I'm actually happy to be going. I know there's only a two week break and we're back to school. But I'd like to enjoy this now and worry later.

I wore black leggings and a grey top. On top I wore a grey hoodie matched with black converse.

I walked downstairs towards the kitchen. Mom was pouring her cup of coffee. "Morning" she said with a smile.

I smiled at her this time. "Morning mom"

I'm normally very weird about this. It's still weird about the fact that she's here often. And I seem to never get used to this. One of the main reasons as to why I'm actually pretty genuine this morning is the fact that it's the last day of school.

"You're cheerful" she stated looking over me.

I grabbed a mug and poured myself a cup. "I don't know what your talking about" I said casually.

"Course you do, it's the last day of school" she stated bluntly.

I couldn't help but smile. "And you know me to well"

I sat at the bench and ate a croissant.

Dad walked in wearing a black suit. "Morning everyone" he said as he sat down next to me.

I said morning back and sipped my coffee.

Mom turned around and smiled enlightening. "So easters coming up" she started.

I sighed. If course. She wouldn't smile without wanting something.

"And are we doing the same Easter we've always done" I said in a bored tone as I whined.

You can say we have our own tradition for Easter. But it's not related to Easter. We do not eat chocolate. Instead all of our family meets at our home and we have lunch together. It starts at 11:30 to 1:30. Two excruciating hours. It's basically catching up with everyone. And food is completely normal. Once again no chocolate. And no one says happy Easter. Because apparently, and I quote, it's not suitable for the occasion. Thats what my mother said.

We've been doing this tradition since I was 5. And it's still been the most boring event of the year.

She nodded instantly loosing her smile as she looked dissaprovingly at me. "Yes we are. Stop whining, you get to see your relatives"

I smiled sweetly. "Ah yes, will I be seeing the-" I paused so I could rephrase the words 'queen bitch' "-devil herself?" I asked.

Who I was talking about was my worst enemy. She's rude and has been annoying me since I was 7.

I will never forget the day she showed just how rude she is. We met and I swear I saw a tinge of evilness in her. But how was I supposed to know, I was only 7.

The memory tinged in my mind replayed.

*flashback*
We sat at a bench at kindergarden. It was a break between lessons. I looked down at my hand which is slightly stained with red. Painting was fun. It was what I loved doing at this age.

The bell rang as my cousin and I made our way back. We had our similarities. We both had blond hair with a few brown strands. The only difference being that I had blue eyes and she had brown eyes.

Her brown eyes that once held innocence.

A boy that was a little obese came running through. He seemed nice. I talked to him a bit during lessons.

He had a genuine smile plastered on his face. My cousin seemed completely unamused and rather annoyed. As he came running past she stuck her foot out on purpose. I watched as the boy fell over. It wasn't a verrical path. There were rocks and wooden posts surrounding the area. He lay on the ground as he started crying. I felt hopeless. He turned over and I saw the heaps amount of blood on his knee. There was a deep cut and blood was pouring out. My eyes went wide in horror and guilt. I knew I did nothing, but I just stood still. A teacher came through and knelt beside him as a few of his friends came as well.

My legs finally moved as I made a move towards the injured boy. But my cousin grabbed firmly into my arm and kept me by my side.

She talked to me in a hushed tone. "Stop feeling sorry for him. Emotions hurt you. Ignore it and walk away".

She was only 7 yet she knew a lot. She was big on reading.

She turned the other way and made a move the other way but waited for me. I looked a second longer at the crying boy. We both made eye contact. I looked away as I turned around to face my cousin. I walked away as my cousin followed me.

*flashback*

I regret that day so much. If I could go back I would. That day my cousin changed. I know there's no excuses but it's mainly because her parents split. We used to be really close. Then she changed. The week before the incident she came crying to me. And she wouldn't stop crying. I of course comforted her. The next day she came along she wasn't crying, nor was she showing any sign of emotions. It's like she blocked them off. And that's when she started becoming a bitch.

Mom rolled her eyes at me. "What happened to you guys? You used to be so close"

I didn't bother explaining. "She became a bitch" I casually spoke.

Mom looked up at me with she brows raised. "Language" she scolded me.

"Sorry" I corrected myself. "She became a female dog"

She gave me a pointed look and I shrugged innocently. "I didn't swear"

Mother ignored my last comment. "And no she's not coming"

I didn't bother to hide my smile.

"She's having a few issues at home" mom states not adding in more information.

I rolled my eyes. "She's always had issues, this ain't the first time. You know, I haven't seen her since I was 7" I added in in an exaggerated tone.

Mom ushered me to leave. "Anyway it's not our problem, go to school, wouldn't want to be late on the last day" she gave me a pointed look.

I rolled my eyes and said my byes before leaving.

I drove my car to school. Another normal day.

I grabbed my books and walked to first class with Luke and Maya.

He seemed to be hiding something.

I looked at him closely. "What?" I asked.

He looked at me blankly. "What?"

I was suspicious. "Your not telling me something"

He shrugged it off casually. "I'm not hiding something"

I nodded stubbornly. "Yes you are I can see it in your eyes"

He cocked his head to the side and gave me a really look before turning to Maya. "Do I have something in my eye?"

Maya gave him a confused expression before looking closer and squinting her eye. "Now that you mention it, yeah you do"

"See" I proved.

"Your eyes are green" Maya exclaimed proudly.

Luke gave me an amused expression whilst I sat back in defeat.

Just today. I just have to get through today.

(A/N)
Thoughts on the chapter? Especially Lana's cousin? Do you think she'll be making a comeback later in the book? You'll find out.

Updating soon.
Remeber to comment and vote.
~ Ashley.