The Morning after the Nightmare (1/5) - R

The next few days felt like a distant dream. Shadow stashed his newly grown wings under a bandage. They were the size of bat wings, so hiding them was easy, but tugging them under it was a lot harder. The bandage was tightened so much, that it almost broke his ribs and made breathing difficult.

At some point, he noticed Sonic left his room but hadn't returned to the orphan's asylum. The aunt from the orphanage had asked him about it, but he had no idea where the boy went. Such was the truth. He felt a bit relieved that the boy hadn't told anyone about his disgusting transformation, for now.

For the time being, he closed the church, claiming he was rather ill. When people saw his tired face and the dark circles under his eyes, they had no reason to doubt it. They only wished him a quick recovery. That gave him some time to think.

He was certain he couldn't stay here. He had to leave! But where? Where could he go? A place without people would be nice. Far away from anyone. With his thoughts finally calmed down, he had begun the preparations which took him a few days, but he made sure not to leave anything unfinished.

 With his thoughts finally calmed down, he had begun the preparations which took him a few days, but he made sure not to leave anything unfinished

When the morning of his departure arrived, quite a crowd gathered in front of his church, wishing him a safe journey.

"Are you truly leaving?" a rabbit woman asked, giving him a sad look.

"I'm afraid so," the priest answered, glancing at the clouds above the town.

For the last few days, it had been cloudy, and frequent rain showers were forcing people to hide. Even now it looked like it could rain as the heavy dark clouds hung above them.

"I have received a letter, my father is on the deathbed. I must get to his side as soon as possible."

That was a lie.

"I have already asked The Order to sent a new priest here."

He slightly smiled; this was a truth.

He didn't want to leave his home empty, and many people visited this place as the second church was almost on the other side of the town.

More people came to say goodbye, praying for his father to get better. Shadow patiently listened to everyone, before he could finally head toward the main train station, that was a short distance away.

It was full of people getting in and out. He looked around while waiting in a line for a ticket. Sonic was nowhere to be seen.

This morning he had heard that Sonic had finally returned to the orphanage. A huge burden fell away from his heart, at the same moment, he felt fear the child might talk about his demonic transformation, but it still didn't happen. He was sure Sonic was scared and was hiding somewhere else for these last few days.

He shook his head. This wasn't the time to think about it. He had to move forward before someone came after him. Without paying much attention, he got his ticket and headed to the corresponding platform.

But so what if he did leave? If someone found out his secret, would he be killed? Or would he be heard out? The wings burned him. He tightly pressed the handle of his luggage.

'I can't deny the truth, but I had no idea about it! I'm innocent... a victim as well! But why am I like this? From what time? From my birth or...?' He shook his head even more. The answers eluded him. 'First... First, I have to get out of this town then... I'll think about it.'

The steam train approached the platform, screeching as it slowed down. People got off and new ones got on; Shadow was among them. He found an empty cabin as he had no intention of talking with anyone. He put his luggage on the rack under the ceiling, sitting down tiredly.

After a while, the train started to move. He looked out the window. This town was his home for many years. He couldn't stop the feeling of loneliness from creeping inside of his heart. 'Farewell...'

"Let me go!" shouted a familiar voice, bringing him out of his melancholy.

The ebony hedgehog bristled, jumping to his feet. He slid open the door of his cabin, looking outside. Shadow turned towards a conductor who was holding a blue hedgehog child by the back quills, lifting him into the air.

"Sonic!" Shadow gasped loudly.

"F-Father Shadow!" The boy was struggling, trying to free himself from the man's grasp, but his grip was firm.

"Is this child with you?" asked the bear conductor.

"Ah... yea... yes, he is," the priest mumbled stunned.

"He looked like he was sneaking around."

"Ah, we must have got... separated before getting on the train... yes." The ebony hedgehog was sweating. "I was so absorbed in my thoughts, I stopped checking on him."

The conductor let Sonic go who immediately hid behind Shadow.

"Your ticket, please," said the conductor.

"A ticket?" The priest was totally off. "Ah, the ticket, I'm sorry." He searched his pockets, giving it to him.

It was stamped and returned. "And for the child?" The bear's hand stayed open.

Shadow again searched his pockets. "Don't tell me," he mumbled. "This is the worst day ever; I must have lost it somewhere. May I buy a new one?"

The conductor sighed. He went to Shadow's church from time to time so they knew each other. Not just that, quite often he spent the night in Shadow's church since his house was on the other side of town when he was going home around the midnight due to delays on the rail.

The priest learned of his schedule, and when it was apparent the bear would get home the next day, he always waited for the conductor with warm soup and a bed.

So for him, he overlooked the fine and accepted only the payment for the new ticket. The black hedgehog was very thankful to him.

After this anabasis, he took Sonic to his cabin. There they sat in front of each other in complete silence. The priest rested his elbows on knees, assuming a thinking position.

This was bad.

Sonic wasn't supposed to be here.