Before the Time - r

Darkness; the silent hunter hiding everything and everyone, yet they shined so brightly at the same time

Darkness; the silent hunter hiding everything and everyone, yet they shined so brightly at the same time. Just one sound and everything was revealed.

If anyone listened carefully, they might have found the truth within. Avoiding it, approaching it... Were these the only choices one could make? After all, every person shapes their own destiny, right? However, even the deepest blackness couldn't hide anyone from their true fate.

Fate had, from time to time, a strange sense of humor. The more one wanted to avoid it, the more they were dragged down the path that was set for them. It didn't matter if it was a road nobody wanted to set their foot on, somebody still had to walk on it.

Many years ago, a chosen child was sent on a cursed path, and nothing could change it. This chosen child's future was controlled by a woman known as The Light One. No matter what, that child could only follow this direction.

However, The Light One was now incapable of doing anything, enclosed in a tall, massive crystal engulfed by dim light. The stunning prison resembled a hexagonal tower. Its tip was sharp, looking down at everything.

Tiny balls of light were floating around the crystal-like fireflies, making the structure more magical than it already was. Some of them entered the crystal, moving through the thick walls like they were nothing.

Smaller crystals were spurting from its base like roots, resting the base in a nest. They looked gentle, but their sharp edges prevented anyone from getting too close.

The space around the prison was filled with black nothingness destined to be swallowed beyond the thin border of light the crystal emitted. The cold claws of the darkness had a tight grip around it, but they never fully surpassed the glow. Thin streams of the light escaped through gaps, never getting too far.

It was an eerie, scary, and lonely place, yet the Light One's expression was the embodiment of serenity. There was no fear, sadness, or happiness. Like that woman was dead from the inside, regardless of the radiance that engulfed her.

Her body was wrapped in a simple dress, the hem was wavering in the substance filling the crystal. Her long hair floated around like a veil. The clothes hid her figure, covering most of her pure, white skin. The Light One's eyes were closed like she was having an endless dream.

The silence of this dark place was interrupted by an echo of steps coming from far away. The resounding strides vibrated through the air. A sound that would send a chill down the spine of anyone who would be near to hear them. The steps were slow, but firm, shortening the distance to the crystal with each heartbeat.

The border of the light was crossed by a new figure hidden by a cloak. It covered the figure's whole form, the hood obscuring half of their face. Only a trio of small horns on its forehead was visible under the cloth. It seemed there was something more beneath the hood, but it was completely concealed.

The figure lifted its head slightly, gazing at the elegant, crystal coffin. The shadows on its face shrunk from the light, revealing red, scaly skin. The dusky light caressed the newcomer, however it was ice cold. It gave nothing but misery and sadness to anyone who would set their eyes on it.

"You have envisioned the future, but I won't let you have it your way." The cold, emotionless tone of his voice made sure to show he was dead serious.

A hand mostly dominated by black scales with a few red stripes reached toward the central crystal. Nevertheless, it was pushed away by a strong wave of energy. The raised gust hit him hard, but he stood his ground, merely covering his face with the repelled arm. His hood fluttered but remained in place.

The light fireflies rushed through his body. They were cold to the touch but burning as they passed through. It lasted only for a few seconds, but the pain lingered even after the cloak stopped wavering.

He put his hand down, looking up. The Light One's lips were closed, but it felt like they were sneering at him. This wasn't his first attempt to get closer, and it sure wasn't the last time he would try to. Giving up wasn't in his nature.

His fist balled before he barked, "You may have seen the time that has yet to come, but you aren't the only one who can control it!" He gnawed on his lip as the last word left his mouth. "I'll make sure of that!" the cloaked figure snapped at the end, making a sharp glance toward the other's face.

At that moment, the hood for a second revealed yellow eyes with slit pupils. The horned figure turned away, disappearing into the darkness.

Moments of stillness had passed when her voice came from inside of the crystal, vibrating through the air, "Not even you can change that, my dear half. Not even you..."

As if the light symbolized the strength of her voice, it slowly died together with the words, embracing the silence once more. The darkness immediately covered everything, leaving nothing untouched.

Dedicated to iloojin for taking her time to BadAss Critique my book <3