Choosing a path (9/11)

The silence was suffocating. All eyes were on Nigel, but the squirrel man was silent, not showing any expression. When he had finally spoken, his voice sounded neutral: "So, what do you think, my dear friend Big?"

Except for Shadow, who was kneeling and thus watching the ground, everybody was surprised as no one had noticed the big purple cat to move. The round man was now standing next to His Holiness, blankly staring down. "Do you like fishing?" he asked. His voice was... let's just say our favorite grumpy psychic was surprised he was capable of talking.

"F-Fishing?" the kneeling demon was sure he must have heard wrong. Why would he ask him that? What had fishing to do with him being a demon who massacred thousands and thousands of humans? He couldn't help it but lift his head a bit, seeing the blank stare of the black eyes. "I... remember going fishing from time to time," the priest answered honestly.

"Did you enjoy it?" asked the cat still keeping that empty gaze.

Shadow nodded. "Yes, it was relaxing."

"Did you catch any fish?"

Where were these questions heading? The kneeling demon had no idea. "I... didn't." Was all he was capable to say.

"Why not? Isn't it strange to go fishing without fishing anything?"

Now it was official, there was something fishing going on. At least that's what appeared in Silver's mind... making him super grumpy... he hated puns... especially the one he didn't make.

This was one strange conversation for sure. "Well, I do eat fishes, they are healthy after all, but..." now he was feeling a bit stupid. "I just never adjusted the hook to the line I just liked to sit near the water, watching as they gather. It kind of felt like having a company."

The demonic priest inhaled the air around the big cat. There wasn't anything strange about it... no danger... but... there was nothing... it was blank just like his eyes. Those questions were equally puzzling and they seemed so random.

Big finally talked: "It's nice to meet an old friend."

The ebony hedgehog felt his brain was starting to work, at last realizing something that been bugging him for some time. 'Is this man...'

"Let's go fishing sometime, old friend."

'... the one who gave me the book and told me about demon's names?'

Silver had to fight the urge to scratch in his quills. He had heard and witnessed different types of interrogation but if any contained an invitation for fishing... he would remember it.

Shadow's eyes moved toward Mr. Nigel, seeing a small smile. "Then I believe this settles it. Shadow, stand up," asked him the man. The priest obeyed, more like to see if his body didn't go numb from all the tension. When he checked the squirrel's smell it was without a hint of hostility.

The head of The Order had continued: "I'm well aware of that incident. It was a huge topic for years and even now it brings shivers to many people." His tone was now serious and firm. One could tell this man wasn't one to be trifled with. "I'm finding it hard to believe a demon responsible for such massacre came to me just like this."

The priest opened his mouth, but he was stopped with a hand gesture. "I'm not saying I completely trust your words. But I'm willing to give you a chance to prove yourself. There is still too much to answer to give a definite conclusion."

"So... you mean..." Was he really implying...?

"Yes, you are a dangerous demon and under normal circumstances, I would order to get rid of you immediately. Your crimes are serious and can never be erased..."

Those last words made Shadow sour, but they were true.

The other made a small smile. "Then again, we all can agree this isn't traditional situation. You have come here, ready to accept whatever will be thrown your way and I would be a fool not offering a second chance to someone who deserves it."

"Wait... You mean.... Really?"

"Yes, I'm giving you a chance to prove yourself and redeem your sins as an agent of The Order."

Before Shadow could react, Sonic and Amy jumped at him, hugging him, not hiding their happiness. Silver ears twitched. Becoming an agent? The psychic exchange a quick glimpse with the boss, looking at the demon. It was true he was decided... kind of... to put a good word for him if he was sentenced to a prison.

After all, he was willing to cooperate so being treated in a normal way was something he could be gifted with. He expected at the best case for him to become a laboratory subject, letting the scientist test seals and weapons on him while leaving him with a certain degree of freedom. But becoming an agent?! That surely surpassed his expectation!

"Thank... Thank you, your Holiness." The demonic hedgehog quickly said, trying not to be thrown off balance by kids since each was hanging from one arm. "But... are you sure?! What if I go berserk!"

'That's a valid point,' noted the exorcist wondering what could be His Holiness thinking.

"Please, I'm enjoying enough formalities during days, just call me Mr. Nigel." He sent a small smirk in Silver's direction and the receiver snorted. "And about you going berserk... I already have an idea how to deal with it."

"Yes, Mister Nigel." He bowed, letting the children jump down, who as well bowed in great gratitude. "But... I'm sure other agents would find this..." He wasn't sure what word to use.

Mr. Acorn slightly rolled his eyes. "Like one overly serious hedgehog wasn't enough," he glanced at the S-grade agent, who just frowned. "I suppose there is a certain aspect of The Order I should show you." He looked at Big, who was standing and watching them. "May you please, my dear friend."

"Okay," the big cat replied and... nothing was happening for some time. All of the eyes were on him and each of them was pondering what will happen... if anything. Then suddenly a puff of purple smoke engulfed him and he appeared to be... differently colored – black and red, but the absent-minded stare was still there.

The squirrel man smiled, stating the obvious: "Big is a demon too." He eyed all of them, staying the longest on Silver. What he can say, he was his favorite... regarding the missions and being the perfect teasing target. After all, this psychic was making quite great comebacks making this a small fun game between them.

Now his face lost every bit of confidence and cold professionalism, meaning he was utterly shocked. The exorcist's mouth twitched. "Y-Your Holiness does this mean...?" He had a hard time to believe it.

His boss nodded. "Yes, Big the Cat is demon working in the services of The Order." He was so savoring this moment. It wasn't every day he was able to get him like this. Tho the surprise was understandable. He glanced at Eclipse seeing his eyes were shaking meaning he was paying his surrounding attention.

The psychic slightly laughed putting right hand on his front quills. "Ah, I see, he is bounded too," he jokingly noted. "That makes sense."

"No, Big isn't bounded to anyone," firmly informed the squirrel boss. Such was the truth, Amy was the first person he knew about having such ability.

"Big is just Big," replied the purple cat still looking with blank eyes. It was impossible to guess what was he thinking... if at all.

"But then... how?" The silver agent hated quite a few things and not understanding what was going on was one of them. Was The Order influenced by this demon from inside? But... he just looks so stupid! Was he even having a brain?

"And," Nigel made a bright smile, half-way lifting his hand and pointing up, "if you think this is strange, wait when you hear this funny story how Big established The Order."

Everyone's jaw dropped.