Chapter 8

I open my eyes and stare up at the ceiling. Today is the day I'm getting sold.  I’m no longer going to be in this small and unwelcoming house.  I will no longer be with Harry and his kind gestures even though they confuse me most of the time.  I won’t ever have to see A.J. again, or at least I hope I won’t.  I won't have to worry about being punished or saying the wrong thing or planning an escape.

But I’d rather live with all these things than be sold to some man who can do whatever he wishes with me because he owns me.

I sit up in bed and walk towards the door, not bothering to change my clothes.  Alice will be over shortly anyway and she’ll make me change later.  I wish I knew her longer.  We talked a lot yesterday and I feel like she was my long lost sister.

We laughed together and shared stories.  When I was with her for the quick hour, I felt almost happy.  Will I ever see her again after I’m sold?

As I step into the living room, Harry’s deep breathing brings me to reality again.  I don’t understand why he lets me sleep in his bed while he takes the couch.  It doesn’t even look comfortable.  His body looks much too big on the small sofa.

I guess he gets his bed back tonight though.  I’ll be gone by then.

I divert my attention away from Harry when I hear a rattling noise coming from the doorknob.  I take a few steps away, slowly hiding behind the couch.  What if it’s A.J. or one of the gang members? Or what if it's A.J. himself?

I can hear the creak of the hinges as the door slowly starts to open.  I take a deep breath, peering around the corner, expecting someone with a gun to shoot.

“Alice!” I whisper, trying not to wake up Harry.  I let out a deep breath as she smiles sheepishly.  “You gave me a heart attack.”

“I’m sorry dear.”  She looks at Harry and smiles.  “I don’t think he’s going to be waking up anytime soon.  He looks quite comfortable, if I do say so myself,” she says a little louder while chuckling.  I join her with my own laughter before glancing at Harry.  He’s curled up in a ball and the blanket is pulled up to his chin.  He looks very comfortable despite the size of the couch.

“He does,” I agree.

“Let’s go get you all dolled up,” she says with a giddy smile on her face.

I roll my eyes, shaking my head even though I can’t stop smiling.  I don’t understand my emotions right now.  I should be sad that I’m being sold but Alice’s presence keeps my thoughts away from the negative.

“Put on your dress now and then we’ll start your hair and makeup and all that jazz,” she says as she hands me my white dress from yesterday.  I slip it on as she plugs in a curling iron into the wall.  “I think this is one of my favorite dresses.  It looks so good on you.  It looks so much better than those old, ratty sweats you were wearing,” she teases me.  I gently punch her shoulder and she smiles.  “Only saying the truth, darling.  Take a seat in the chair so we can do your hair.”

“Were you a seamstress before?” I ask her.

“I was,” she answers as she begins to brush out my hair.  “I worked in a little clothing shop.  It was my mother’s.  I occasionally designed the clothes but I would do most of the sewing or fitting or customizing.  I love it so much.  I love doing hair too.  You’re hair is going to look terrific after I’m done.  I can’t wait for you to see it.”

“You should have been a makeup artist or something for the actors.  I bet they would’ve snapped you up.”

“Oh stop it, Jackie,” she teases me.  “You’re making me blush.”